"Raindrops" Redux

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

"Raindrops" Redux

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

On page 121 of his memoir, Moon River and Me,Andy Williams writes: "The producer of the film, John Foreman...told me later that he had wanted me to sing `Raindrops` in the movie. He tried to get hold of me to do it, but I was away on tour,"
Was anyone NOT offered this song?I`m trying to recall if anyone ever pitched it to me
scotsgreg

Re: "Raindrops" Redux

Post by scotsgreg »

They did. It was just a few days after I rejected it, but before Richard Nixon declined.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

I believe Dionne Warwick is the only singer who ever said she was not offered Raindrops! There were rumors floating around that she turned the song down and she said Burt wrote the tune with a male singer in mind and she suggested BJ Thomas and was never offered the tune...folks thought she had to have turned the tune down but that's not so! I am wondering, with Burt being as big as he was by that time if he would have had a producer of the film offering the tune to stray male singers...I just have a sneaking hunch that Burt had more control over his product by 1969 and didn't need a producer seeking singers for his tune. I really have my doubts that anyone other than Ray Stevens and BJ were ever offered the tune...I have a hard time believing that Burt had to rely on others to find folks who wanted to record his tunes...hell, everyone wanted a Bacharach tune in their set list...and everyone wanted some of that Burt-Hal-Dionne magic by 1969...I was around then and they were so damn hot! I think that may be some wishful thinking on Andy's part but I may be wrong...was there ever a singer more wrong for a song than "Raindrops-Andy"???? Even the rumored Bob Dylan-Raindrops pairing would have been better than Andy! Andy was a great singer but Bacharach and Andy don't seem to match at all.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

BachtoBacharach: I believe you're 100% correct. I totally agree -- I mean, I KNOW how hot Burt and Hal were in 1968-69. Burt was in total control of his music. And you're right: It's ridiculous to think that Burt (or any representative of his) had to go begging singers to record his songs. There wasn't a singer in the world who wouldn't have killed to get an original Burt/Hal song.

Regarding Andy Williams: I happen to think he had one of the most beautiful and original voices and was a great singer. So mellow, so smooth. Exactly the kind of voice that DOESN'T go with a Burt/Hal song. Andy Williams would have ruined Raindrops -- it's just that simple. Dylan would have butchered it as well -- even the voice he had in 1969. BJ Thomas was perfect for Raindrops, and the international success of that song is proof positive that Burt/Hal got the right singer for that song. Of course, I have heard Dionne sing it and it's marvelous, too. It probably would have been equally successfu with Dionne singing it, but you can't argue with BJ's successful recording.

One last thing: Andy says that the producer of the film wanted him to sing the song. That's far different from saying that Burt wanted Andy to sing the song. We all know the perfectionist that Burt is, and I'll bet you anything that if Burt said to the producer, "Andy's not right for the song", then Andy wouldn't have gotten the song. I can't imagine anyone arguing with Burt about his music and who should sing it.

I just checked the Hitmaker Archive. Andy did sing Raindrops... in 1970... but it doesn't say what album he sang it on. Oh boy! Now I'm dying to hear it.
Blair N. Cummings

It was the title track of an album that, uncharicteristically (and as a nod to the success of certain "concept albums") featured a B side of non-hit songs including a wonderful version of "If Wishes Were Horses".
And, no,he brought nothing memorable to "Raindrops...".
Blair N. Cummings

Partial correction:
I seem to recallthat Andy`s Raindrops album was entitled Bridge Over Troubled Water overseas (or maybe vice-versa0.
Also,on his "Alone Again,Naturally" lp, he did a (THE?) cover of "If I Could Go Back". I also seemto recall that this was before the Lost Horizon ST was released. If that`s correct - IF - it suggests that Andy may have had an inside track to that song.Does anyone know?
pljms

Post by pljms »

Re Andy Williams and his voice being too smooth for Bacharach, a bit like Jack Jones, there are songs of BB's which suit his voice perfectly and, indeed, his version of 'Wives and Lovers' is terrific and with a stunning arrangement. Sadly it hasn't been posted on Youtube yet. It's from the 1964 album 'The Wonderful World of Andy Williams'.
Paul
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Andy's cover of "Wives and Lovers" can be found on many in-print CD compilations of Andy's work, including, I believe, IN THE LOUNGE WITH... and HAPPY HEART: THE VERY BEST OF. It's worth checking out for any fans of Mr. Williams!
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Andy Wiiliams recorded "Raindrops..." as the title track to his 1969 album, which was quite a departure for him in that his albums comprised cover versions of the popular hits of the day. The "Raindrops..." album was a "concept" album developed for him by Mason Williams (no relation) of "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour". The album contained compositions from Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, John Hartford, Roy Orbison, Mickey Newbury and Tim Hardin. It sold "poorly" (compared to his "cover versions" albums) but over time, I think it's one of his best. I do like his version of "Raindrops.." because the arrangement by Al Capps, was not a note for note copy of the B. J. Thomas version, it fit his voice and phrasing. Andy Williams at least realized his voice and that of B. J. Thomas were not the same and that their fan base may or may not have been the same.
"If I could Go Back" was from the 1972 album "Alone Again Naturally" and it's a great arrangement by Artie Butler. Andy, in recording a lesser known song from that musical, chose a difficult song to sing, but one where his voice brings out the beauty of the music and lyric, lyrics that could have meant a lot to him considering he was at the tail end of the popularity of his tv show and his albums were selling less and less in the 1970's, a great version of a Bacharach/David song (even though it's not a Burt Bacharach arrangement!).
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hello All

An Andy Williams version of Alfie was my childhood introduction to the wonderful world of Burt and still has a special place in my collection. It's not that bad, in fact it's a pretty damn good interpretation imho:)

I believe he recorded a few versions of Alfie and it's just the one that particularly stands out. Can't remember the album it was on but it also included God Only Knows, Theme from Last Tango In Paris and Home Lovin Man.