So How big is Burt in New Zealand anyway?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

someonenameddavid

So How big is Burt in New Zealand anyway?

Post by someonenameddavid »

I was just wondering, casually, sort of out loud, whether Burt was well known and if the Kiwis got a chance to see him how well a performance would be attended.

Regards, David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
David Young

Re: So How big is Burt in New Zealand anyway?

Post by David Young »

I can only quantify this in terms of my own experience. Burt was due to perform three concerts here in early 2007 in Wellington, Christchurch and Auckland with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra . During this period I was in constant contact with NZSO personnel. Burt agreed to an additional concert in Auckland due to demand.
Unfortunately personal circumstances, including physical injury,(evidently, he had a fall walking his dog on Boxing Day) meant the cancellation of his tour here.I was booked for all four appearances. Dionne Warwick gracefully took over his concert tour and I attended her marvellous show in Wellington.
In May 2007 I received a mailing from the Auckland Philharmonia Orchestra stating that Burt had been scheduled for one New Zealand concert in July in Auckland.
He was also appearing in Australia at this time.
The venue was the Vector Arena and 4000 seats were made available. The venue was full on the night and a terrific concert ensued- the best I have ever attended and I was able to tell Burt how much I enjoyed the concert when I saw him outside his hotel after the event. I told him that I had been waiting for him to come to New Zealand for 37 years - that `s when I discovered him in 1970, when I was in high school.

How big is Burt in New Zealand?

He`s Number 1 in my house, and always will be.

Regards,

David Young
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour David;

"I heard it through the Grapevine"; Burt maybe coming back to New Zealand in 2010!

You might get another chance to see him!
Take care;

Vincent
David Young

Post by David Young »

Dear Vincent,

Thank you for the encouraging and exciting info about the possibility of Burt performing in NZ in 2010.
I am considering flying to Melbourne for his shows in March ( I have friends there) but will hold off to see if any concerts eventuate here.
Here`s hoping.
Thanks again,

Regards,

David
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

David Young wrote:.....Burt agreed to an additional concert in Auckland due to demand......
Yet he's booked in Phoenix and they have to cancel the show due to lack of ticket sales!!

Way to go, Phoenix!!