Burt `s Music On Surround System

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Marcel

Burt `s Music On Surround System

Post by Marcel »

Hello to you all,

Just installed my 7.1 surround system and discovered that Burt `s music felt brand new!
You hear a lot of things better especially when you are listen to the"Woman"album.
The last few days i listened at "One Amazing Night", "At This Time", "Isn`t She Great", Butch Cassidy"and "Painted For Memory"
Heard also Dianna Krall "The Look Of Love"album.
Does anyone else,have experience with this great sound system?

Kind regards: :D

Marcel
steveo_1965

Re: Burt `s Music On Surround System

Post by steveo_1965 »

HI,
I'm sure your system sounds great...as for me, I don't like it when the music is too loud..it feels threatening to me, so Im not sure how loud you are listening to this music.
As for the quality of the system, I only have average equipment for playback....
But I have heard this music live and know what it is supposed to sound like......
If it approximates a live concert, well then it's supreme. : )
Steveo
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

The recording industry is desperately searching for something--anything--to boost sales, and a few years ago they tried SACD and DVD-A to see if people would respond to higher fidelity music with the bonus of 5.1 mixes. The public collectively shrugged. The problem is that relatively few people are going to sit in one place and listen to music at home the way they'd watch a DVD on a home theater system. If anything iPods and MP3s have made music much more mobile. That's a shame, because I really enjoy high-res 5.1 mixes. Especially with well recorded music, multi-channel audio brings out instruments and sounds you never knew were there. Check out the 5.1 mixes of Elton John, Roxy Music, Talking Heads, Flaming Lips or Beck for some good examples.

I'm not sure how good the master tapes are on Burt's productions, but given the variety of instruments I think you could some really great 5.1 mixes out of his original source material. They could definitely widen the sound stage or make it feel like you were surrounded by the band. Unfortunately, multi-channel music has proven to be nothing more than a tiny niche, so it's not in the financial best interest of WEA or Universal or whoever controls the music to spend the money to remix and manufacture the discs. If anything, they probably get better bang for their buck just selling digital songs on iTunes. I wonder what the margin is on a $9.99 iTunes album versus a $17.99 CD or a $24.99 DVD-A?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Mark,
I dug your last post! Unfortunately for me, I am reminded of my youth whereby only the shabbiest of pressings were available on Scepter...I don't know where they got their vinyl....Mexico?, like Phil Spector for some of his Philles pressings? Well, the
records were commercially viable and worked for making a good profit...
The vinyl was terrible...now with the advent of MP3's and Cd's we have some recordings that have the potential for high quality...a lot of it depends on the "mix"tho... some remixes are awful...the voice is buried in echo or pulled back too much, etc. and some are sublime....just thinking out loud.....
Steveo