What Love Can Do

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

What Love Can Do

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Brian Wilson Single 'What Love Can Do' Biggest Radio Hit in a Decade for Former Beach Boy!

SANTA MONICA, Calif., Aug. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- WHAT LOVE CAN DO, 429 Records' collection of songs by some of the music world's most creative songwriters is enjoying a successful launch as the title track, a new recording by Brian Wilson is powering the AC radio charts in the first weeks of release! Written by Brian Wilson, Steven Krikorian and Burt Bacharach and produced by legendary producer Phil Ramone, "What Love Can Do" was the # 1 Most Added song at adult contemporary radio in late July, setting off a march up the charts in tandem with the release last week of the album of the same name. WHAT LOVE CAN DO is a project put together by Phil Ramone that brings together celebrated musicians such as Brian Wilson, Kris Kristofferson, Kenny Loggins, Burt Bacharach and many others each of whom have gone back into the studio to recreate one of their all-time hits as well as record a brand new song. It's a unique idea where artists, under the creative genius of Phil Ramone, record a fresh take on a timeless classic while also offering an up-to-date example of their artistry. Key AC stations such as KWAV (Monteray, CA) and WCDV (Baton Rouge, LA) have already embraced the new song which finds Wilson at the top of his form. WHAT LOVE CAN DO was released on 429 Records on August 4.
ron hertel

Re: What Love Can Do

Post by ron hertel »

GOOGLE .......... what love can do brian wilson ....... click on "new single" ...... watch & listen
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Here's a video of the song. I believe that's Phil Ramone at the end with whom Brian is shaking hands. Is that correct? Too bad Burt's not around.

http://www.contactmusic.com/videos.nsf/ ... ove-can-do
Rio

Post by Rio »

Burt?

2:17, immediately after the harmonica player is shown. I'll be damned if that's not the Burt Bacharach of music in the back.

Yes, most definitely: that''s Phil Ramone.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I don't know how big or small BB's contribution to this song was but almost two years after the first hearing it still sounds like it's a 100% Brian Wilson composition to me.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

I've been taken with "What Love Can Do" since first hearing it; I agree that it very much sounds like a Brian Wilson production, despite Phil Ramone having the producer's credit. This is probably due to the presence of Brian's (terrific) band playing on the track, and the fact that they most likely had a hand in the orchestration. I bet if we could hear Burt's isolated piano part (or any piano-and-vocal demo he may or may not have made), his melodic style would be more in evidence. That said, I do hear shades of both Brian and Burt in the song, and Burt particularly in the changes. Perhaps someone more musically-trained than I could go into more detail, but this song sounds like a wonderful collaboration to me!

Joe
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Given how well Burt was able to slyly imitate and allude to his own compositions on the "Isn`t She Great" ST, I`m willing to entertain the idea that the melody is all Burt`s and that the lyrics were Brian`s contribution.
I don`t know how willing a collaborator Burt is when it comes to composing.