Bacharach productions for Dionne

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

EricMontreal22

Bacharach productions for Dionne

Post by EricMontreal22 »

I was wondering if anyone could help me, or point me in the right direction?

I have the three Uk releasesof Dionne's first 6 albums (2 to a cd) on Sceptre and am finally getting the recent RhinoHandmade reissues (as I assume they won't duplicate hte UK ones)

However is there a list anywhere of what songs NOT written by Bacharach/David on these albums were produced/arranged by Bacharach? i know he did much of the arranging on the earlier alb8ums but I think less os on the later ones. But the UK discs don't give credits as to WHo arranged what

E

Post by Guest »

Eric,
Burt did very little arranging for stuff that wasn't his...regarding Dionne. There are a few instances where he did tho. This usually
happened when he liked the song he was working on...an evergreen he respected.
Some of these would be "Who Can I Turn To"(Anthony Newley)
"I Love You Porgy"(George Gershwin) Baubles,Bangles,and Beads
(Wright,Forrest) These great songs, Burt would often have a concept or a "twist" on how to do them his way. One of the exceptions is "Somewhere"
(Leonard Bernstein-Stephen Soundheim)which he trusted his old friend Peter Matz to arrange(it was wonderful). Also, Burt might arrange a song for Dionne that someone else had a hit on of his- "Raindrops" comes to mind, where she "Covers" one of his current hits.
Unfortuneately,as far as i know, there is not list of what he did or did not arrange, but his style kind of gives it away.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

There are a number of BB/HD songs arranged and conducted by others for DW including "This Girl Is In Love With You" and "Wanting Things" both arranged & conducted by Don Sebesky as well as "Message To Michael" (don't know who did that).

other arrangers

Post by Guest »

Ron,
A frechman did that one(Message To Michael). I believe it was recorded in France. Thing is, Burts demos are strong with Bacharachisms, so sometimes certain licks, etc. stay in as a matter of design.
Also,since Burt set the tone and style of Dionne's records,the "other"
arrangers know to keep it within Burt's style, while at the same time adding
some of their own.