South American Getaway, phase-corrected

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

HGN2001

South American Getaway, phase-corrected

Post by HGN2001 »

The soundtrack album of BUTCH CASSIDY & THE SUNDANCE KID was mastered by using the dreaded HAECO-CSG system that altered the phase of one channel so that the record company wouldn't have to also master and press a mono version for the public. It made the songs on the album sound more "correct" when played in mono, but had a deleterious effect to the stereo. Anyone who's ever listened in headphones knows how off-balanced the whole album sounds.

There are modern online tools to change the phasing back to normal which makes the audio sound like it should have all along. Here is my attempt at fixing the phase imbalance on the great "South American Getaway" from that album. Consider this my little tribute to the late Mr. Bacharach.

Harry from A&M Corner
Jim Dixon

Re: South American Getaway, phase-corrected

Post by Jim Dixon »

Thanks, I never realized this album was mastered in this manner. I used Audacity to invert a channel on each of the tracks and I'm going to give it a spin!