R.I.P.—Thom Bell

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

R.I.P.—Thom Bell

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Legenday songwriter\producer Thom Bell passed away yesterday in Bellingham, Washington at age 79. Mr. Bell worked with Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff in creating "The Sound of Philadelphia" which produced two of my favorite songs from their enormous catalogue: "Life is a Song Worth Singing" by Johnny Mathis and "Track of the Cat" by Dionne Warwick. Both songs were written by Thom Bell and the late Linda Creed. I must mention his work with Diane Steinberg (Detroit DJ "Martha Jean the Queen"'s daughter) on what I call sheer genius via a song she did entitled "In Vain" from her album "Diane Who?".
My condolences to his family, friends, and many fans. The music world has lost a great innovator, one full of talent, business expertise, and musical influence. One of his influences was Burt Bacharach whom he paid tribute to through the Stylistic's version of his composition "You'll Never Get To Heaven (If You Break My Heart)".
blueonblue

Re: R.I.P.—Thom Bell

Post by blueonblue »

Very sad news indeed.....farewell Maestro.

'

'blue'
Last edited by blueonblue on Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Bell was also one of those writers who generously agreed to collaborate with the stunning "should-have-been", Nikki Jean:
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

From 1970, the original title, "Betcha By Golly, Wow", disliked by label head Larry Uttal, changed to

"Keep Growing Strong" by Connie Stevens (Cricket on tv show, "Hawaiian Eye"):