Obscure songs of the 60s and 70s Bacharach fans might like

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Obscure songs of the 60s and 70s Bacharach fans might like

Post by geoff85 »

I remember back in 2002 when my parents, my brother and I went on our late summer trip before school started back and my dad was playing the greatest hits of Dionne Warwick ironically it was the first season of American Idol and they had a Bacharach medley. I cant explain it but something about that sound captivated me and at that time I was in thirst and hunger to find more music like the music he created. But even back then(yes way back then in the good ole days of 2002) there was no Youtube all we had was Napster and Morpheus and you had to know what you wanted to find.

I had to study music theory and jazz theory in college before I met one person my age in person to discuss the greatness of Bacharach. But as we know Bacharach's work as extensive as it is it is still finite and even though I am lucky to run into gems I havent heard now and then I have started to explore the music of that era and have become interested in obscure songs that I deem of good quality. I know Bacharach fans have the most exquisite tastes and high standards so cosigns from any of you guys let me know I am on the right track.

Also I wasn't around in the 60s so if these songs are less obscure than i presume please alert me to it and/or if you have any interesting tidbits on the artists or producers please do share.
geoff85

Re: Obscure songs of the 60s and 70s Bacharach fans might like

Post by geoff85 »

Joyce Alexander " here i come" . The artist and recording seem to have western roots(Socal) but has a northern soul vibe to it. I just love how genteel songs of the 60s sound no matter what they are singing about. Is a catchy song about taking someones lover without soounding like a homewrecker and its written well while being very simple.
Last edited by geoff85 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

My fave song from probably one of the most unsung Brill Building acts. Shangri Las " Never Again. While I am aware they do have somewhat of an underground diehard following they really are unknown. Neither of my parents ever heard of them so I figured they were probably only popular amongst young New Yorkers(at the time) maybe who had the most ecclectic collection.

On another note Shadow Morton should be known more. Much Ado is made about Phil Spectors " Wall of Sound"" but the futuristic elements in many of his productions make his songs sound current when listening to them today. Walking in the sand and Ill never learn(both Shangri la songs) sound like something that with tweaking could be given to an aritst like Lana Del Rey or the late Amy Winehouse. Ill never learn probably has some of the best drum breaks i have heard in my entire life. This song is a 3 minute melodrama of the highest order Anyone who know any good obscure Shadow Morton songs outside of the Shangri Las that have that signature sound please direct me.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Brill Building pop meet's Beethoven....from the fertile imagination of George 'Shadow' Morton.

'blue'
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

blueonblue wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:27 am Brill Building pop meet's Beethoven....from the fertile imagination of George 'Shadow' Morton.

'blue'
I have heard this. They got away with calling this a song it was really an extended interlude.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

'Early Sunday Morning'....with a "hint" of Burt...

'blue'
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

blueonblue wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:25 am 'Early Sunday Morning'....with a "hint" of Burt...

'blue'
A lil more than a hint. Does the song have words?
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Don't think so...but i may be wrong ?

'blue'