The coolest White soul group you never heard of

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

The coolest White soul group you never heard of

Post by geoff85 »

I checked with my folks and everyone I know who was around in the late 60s and no one has heard of them. Have you? The them are a group from North Philly called the Destinations. You can't even call them a one hit wonder because they never had a hit. However I stumbled on this song that makes unrequited love and contemplation of suicide sound so beautiful and catchy. The sound is I cant leave you. It has a cross between a Motown sound and a Philly Soul sound( think Thom Bell/Delfonics).To my ears all these groups of that era sound similar with the same lush background vocals and high class production its a wonder why certain groupls made it big while others didnt. I am surprised that a group made up exclusively of White guys wouldnt have stood out in this particular genre or what it their undoing or was it just a numbers game and their number didn't get drawn?

if you have heard of these guys or this song let me know. I attached a live(not live vocals) version as well as maybe seeing them in action might jog your memory.