"I Never Cry"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

"I Never Cry"

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Tell me Burt didn`t write the music to this chorus. I`ve only recently been reminded of this song because it was the closing theme to a dark comedy called `God Bless America.`
The song is from 73 when Vince/"Alice" (whose band I was too old to be impressed by) was praising Burt in interviews. That was a brave thing to do in that era. I know.
Blue has a photo of the two together that I couldn`t reproduce here for some reason.
Djalma Junior

Re: "I Never Cry"

Post by Djalma Junior »

I think this is the photo in question:

Sara D

Post by Sara D »

That's a lovely song. Vince/Alice is obviously a man of taste and discernment because apart from admiring Bacharach he's a big fan of Laura Nyro. I remember being really excited by School's Out and Elected as a kid and recall with fondness my parents appalled reaction on seeing him on Top Of The Pops.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I was pretty sure that Burt didn`t collaborate on the song (It`s not listed in "Serene Dominic"`s book, anyway).
But I also know that Todd Rundgren, for one, would often add to - or flat-out write - a song without taking a credit for someone he was producing. Since Burt and Vince hung out a bit at one time, I imagined it not implausible that such may have been the case here.
Probably not.