And The People Were With Her

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ferper

And The People Were With Her

Post by ferper »

Hello:

I've been wondering if anyone has any info about "And The People Were With Her", I like very much this suite and I want to know if there are any background or info regarding this track.

And if anyone knows about the meaning of the title, is there any particular situation that Burt had in mind when he put this name on this song?

I wish he would expand more on his instrumental themes like this one.

Take care
Fernando
I'll say a little prayer 24 hours from Tulsa
https://www.soundtracks4ever.com/livesc ... harach.htm
blueonblue

Re: And The People Were With Her

Post by blueonblue »

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that 'And The People Were With Her' was the name of one of Burt's race horses ?
But don't take my word for it.

'blue'
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I too thought the title of this piece was connected with horse racing.

But there are a few references to the piece being written for the widow of Bobby Kennedy, including via the link below (I hope it works). It would seem that this was done without any publicity at the time.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=567&p=2018&hilit=et ... nedy#p2018

I believe Burt performed this piece live with an orchestra around the time of the release of his eponymous album in 1971. It would have been great to hear this performed live, and even better if a live performance of this piece could have been recorded and released.

Martyn
ferper

Post by ferper »

Thank you Martyn and blueonblue, mystery solved!

I was reading "Burt Bacharach - Song by Song" and I couldn't find much info about this suite. They wrote something but not very useful...

And yes, it would have been formidable watching and hearing it on stage.

Take care
Fernando
I'll say a little prayer 24 hours from Tulsa
https://www.soundtracks4ever.com/livesc ... harach.htm