R.I.P.—Marilyn Bergman

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

R.I.P.—Marilyn Bergman

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Marilyn Bergman, lyricist, passed away today of respiratory failure (not related to Covid-19) at the age of 93. She, along with her husband Alan, co-wrote the lyrics to such great songs as "The Way We Were", "The Windmills Of Your Mind", and "How Do You Keep The Music Playing" among many others. My condolences to her family, friends, and her many fans.
Sara D

Re: R.I.P.—Marilyn Bergman

Post by Sara D »

It was unusual for a pair of writers to become well-known for collaborating exclusively on the lyrics of songs, especially when that pair just happened to be a married couple. Apart from The Way We Were (music by Marvin Hamlisch) and the Windmills Of Your Mind (music by Michel Legrand), Alan and Marilyn Bergman also wrote the words to songs like You Don't Bring Me Flowers (music by Neil Diamond), What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life (music by Michel Legrand) and In The Heat Of The Night (music by Quincy Jones), the latter the theme song to the movie of the same name co-starring someone else who has also sadly passed away in the last couple of days, Sidney Poitier.

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Lyrics by Marilyn and Alan Bergman music by Michel Legrand....

'blue'
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

'Pieces Of Dreams' was not only one of my favourite Alan and Marilyn Bergman lyrics but also one of my favourite pieces of music by Michel Legrand. This is the recording of the song I always come back to:
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I watched In The Heat Of The Night again a few days ago and it reminded me of this song's inclusion in the movie. I think the combination of the film's subject manner and Quincy Jones's music took the Bergmans into areas that may have been new to them lyrically.