Futures Album

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

gfenning

Futures Album

Post by gfenning »

Futures. This album changed the way I still think about music. And I still play professionally. But I play loud music in my 50's. Punk rock and noise rock - if you care to put a label on it. Toured in the 80's with post-punk acts - got signed a few times. Made no money, but I eventually decided it would be like painting for me - an art/avocation.

This album changed everything for me. I was alternately listening to the rock/disco/funk and punk of my generation (actually before my generation) in the late 70's - I was in junior high. My Mom bought Futures. The first time I listened to it I understood what "timeless music" meant. I was well versed in Bacharach music but didn't understand what it meant to create timeless music.

Rain Drops Keep Falling... I thought that was all done when I started to listen to music in the sixties. Because that is what kids think. But, FUTURES, was a major mind fuck for me. Completely relevant to the times, but not. Blended everything together in an incredibly original but completely honest reflection of the songwriter. No pandering! No dishonest pandering to popular music rules of the time. My parents weren't crazy about it. But I was.

Then when I saw Elvis C. play with BB, I immediately knew that he heard what I heard. Then I started to detect so many other 70's 80's artists that had Burt Bacharach solidly screwed into their "formula."

Now kids have no idea where their incredible chord changes and complete mode shifts come from. But I know where mine and theirs come from.

You could call Bacharach pop I guess. But he wasn't. Pop is shit. Bacharach music is modern art. Futures is an album I listen to once a year or more, to remember how to write songs.

Thanks Burt Bacharach. I would not have even tried to make one note without your inspiration.
Djalma Junior

Re: Futures Album

Post by Djalma Junior »

The Futures album is undoubtedly a turning point in Burt Bacharach's discography after his work in Living Together.

New instruments were incorporated, with the participation of musicians David Sanborn, Marvin Stamm, Hiram Bullock, Ralph MacDonald, singers Patty Austin, Joshie Armstead, Melissa Mackay, Marti McCall, Sally-Stevens, etc.

This significant change would have its continuity in his next album Woman, in his new phase with Carole Bayer Sager, Christopher Cross and later in the memorable album Painted from Memory, with Elvis Costello.

Burt was certainly never a "static" composer, even though he maintained his harmonic fidelity, he always looked for new musical partnerships and that is why today he is a brilliant up-to-date composer.