Some Lovers: New album of the songs from the show

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Some Lovers: New album of the songs from the show

Post by pljms »

An album of the songs that Bacharach and Steven Sater wrote for the musical Some Lovers has just been released. It features dozens of performers mostly associated with the Broadway stage and from the album here's Welcome To My World and A Thousand Things That Were You:

Paul
blueonblue

Re: Some Lovers: New album of the songs from the show

Post by blueonblue »

Paul,
Thank you for posting.
Really looking forward to listening to the album.

'Welcome To My World' is brilliant..."Vintage" Bacharach !
And what a fantastic singer Ramin Karimloo is !

'blue'
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Talking of impressive singers, I think it was a master stroke getting Jennifer Holliday of Dreamgirls fame to sing 'Every Other Hour' for this album, especially as the arrangement is very close if not identical to the one featured in Bacharach's shows in recent years.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

I listened to most of the album today. ... Jennifer Holliday delivers a fine performance of "Every Other Hour"
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Maybe I just haven`t spent enough time looking but I can`t find any information about this album.
Whose project was it? Who produced? Who arranged? Is this a collection from the singers` various albums or...what, exactly?
pljms

Post by pljms »

Blair, all these artists were brought together by Broadway Records to record the 'Some Lovers' album and Bacharach is credited as one of the co-producers. There's thirteen tracks and so not all of the songs that were featured in the London production of 2017 are included. Here's some more information:
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/K ... S-20211006
Paul
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Thanks, Paul.
Now, if only a similar project could be arranged for `New York Animals.`I thought that that score was at least as good and in some instances better than SL.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

There might be a little more background for those unfamiliar with SOME LOVERS here:

https://theseconddisc.com/2021/10/12/we ... alho-more/

Hope it's helpful!
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Although I'm not keen on some of the singers, hearing these new recordings confirms the positive impression the majority of the songs made when I saw the London production of the show a few years ago. Another positive as far as I'm concerned is that collaborator Steven Sater appears to be strictly a words only man, unlike either Elvis Costello or Daniel Tashian, so that we can be pretty certain that Bacharach wrote all the music to all the songs.

The number I remember getting the warmest response from the audience that night at the Other Palace Theatre was 'Hold Me' and hearing it again now on this new recording I can only put it down to its directness and, by Bacharach's standards at least, its relative simplicity:

pljms

Post by pljms »

Given what Bacharach says in the interview posted below about his lack of involvement in the making of the album it seems that his credit as 'co-producer' might be a bit of an exaggeration. It's also interesting to discover that the first song he and Steven Sater wrote together was 'Ready To Be Done With You' and that it was their mutual satisfaction at how well the song had turned out that acted as the spur to them agreeing to write a musical together. They managed to find a home for that first song of theirs in the 'Some Lovers' show and here it is as it's performed on the new album, coupled with a reprise of 'A Thousand Things That Were You'.

https://www.theatermania.com/new-york-c ... 92930.html
Paul
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

We finally got hold of a copy of the CD of the album and we're thoroughly enjoying it. Here's the album's instantly attractive opening track.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Knowing how seriously Bacharach takes these awards, I'm sure he must have been very disappointed that 'Some Lovers' failed to win the Grammy on Sunday night for Best Theater Album. The award went to 'The Unofficial Bridgerton Musical', with Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Cinderella' also trailing in its wake.