Another Rare Laura Nyro Clip

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Another Rare Laura Nyro Clip

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

This is from a performance at Yale in `73 (so she hadn`t been "countrified" yet):

This is from still another documentary promised but yet to see the light of day. The film in question here was apparently completed and "auctioned" - whatever that could mean in this context - but by whom, when, to what entity and to what end remains a mystery to me.
pljms

Re: Another Rare Laura Nyro Clip

Post by pljms »

There seems to be a growing interest in Laura Nyro if British music magazines like Record Collector and Shindig are anything to go by. Both these publications have done big features on her in the last month or two and in fact she's on the front cover of the latest edition of Shindig.

https://www.google.com/search?q=laura+n ... dbLTUBn-4M

Here's a clip of her talking which I believe is taken from the same film as that brief footage of her performing 'Timer'.

Paul
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I think this has to come into the 'rare' category, Laura Nyro duetting with Kenny Rankin on a song written by her brother:
Blair N. Cummings

That is certainly among the rarest recordings I have ever heard or heard of, so thanks for posting it.
That said, it encapsulates everything I disliked about her later career.
PS: I`m surprised that physical 45 rpm singles were still being released in `83. Maybe just to pre-digitised radio stations?
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Blair N. Cummings wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:58 am This is from a performance at Yale in `73 (so she hadn`t been "countrified" yet):

This is from still another documentary promised but yet to see the light of day. The film in question here was apparently completed and "auctioned" - whatever that could mean in this context - but by whom, when, to what entity and to what end remains a mystery to me.
One of my favorite Nyro songs that really embody all her classic idosyncracies. Laura doesnt get enough credit for her singing. Her timbre is that of "broadway soul. There is a shrill quality to her upper register that conveys deep emotion which is why when she is often covered it always feels like something is missing for me. I find her head voice to be one of the best to have ever done it. Her live performances are very much on par with her recordings minus the instrumentation and that is saying alot considering how complex her songs tend to be. Laura was truly a gem and so is this rare treasure.
pljms

Post by pljms »

This may not be by Laura Nyro but it's certainly rare and it is at least about her. I found out recently that an act called Cosmic Rough Riders had a UK Top 40 hit in 2001 with a song entitled 'Laura Nyro' and listening to it now I've discovered it's a gentle and affectionate tribute. The fact that in the song they pronounce her surname NIGH-ro betrays the fact that they must be British because we just didn't know there was another way, so rarely if ever was her name mentioned on the radio or TV over here. I'd always thought that Laura Nyro had such a cool sounding name, that is until I discovered that her surname was in fact supposed to be pronounced 'Nero':
Paul
Nashvon

Post by Nashvon »

Oh good videos, it was nice to listen to)
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Blair N. Cummings wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:58 am This is from a performance at Yale in `73 (so she hadn`t been "countrified" yet):

Anyone remember what songs were posted live on here? Was it and when i die or save the coubtry?
Blair N. Cummings

It was "Timer."
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Blair N. Cummings wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:16 am It was "Timer."
oh darn. iS there still a live verssion of Timer anywhere? Prob one of my fave Nyro songs. Cant believe its about a cat lol.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

pljms wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:38 am There seems to be a growing interest in Laura Nyro if British music magazines like Record Collector and Shindig are anything to go by. Both these publications have done big features on her in the last month or two and in fact she's on the front cover of the latest edition of Shindig.
A continuation of this trend is the recent publication of the book 'On Track With Laura Nyro' by Philip Ward, which is an examination of her entire studio career. Also surveyed are the many live albums that have seen the light of day, the majority released posthumously. It's a very well written and informative book and while the author is an obvious fan he's not uncritical, sharing the same reservations that many Laura Nyro admirers will have of her later work.