To Wait For Love

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

bobciscus

To Wait For Love

Post by bobciscus »

We are huge fans of Burt Bacharach music and we try to make a renditon of an old Burt's song, sang by Paul Anka in the'60.
Hope you enjoy our rendition!

Sara D

Re: To Wait For Love

Post by Sara D »

A very enjoyable listen and thanks for posting on the forum.

I've often wondered what Bacharach thought of Jackie DeShannon's very different interpretation of the song which featured quite an upbeat arrangement by Arthur Wright and with some melodic and harmonic alterations. I'm sure he was absolutely thrilled!

blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

bobciscus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:38 am We are huge fans of Burt Bacharach music and we try to make a renditon of an old Burt's song, sang by Paul Anka in the'60.
Hope you enjoy our rendition!

Lovely rendition, really enjoyed it !
Thank you for sharing.

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

I concur with the others regarding the quality of that rendition.

The song is so familiar it's easy to assume that it must have been a hit for someone at some stage but apparently that's not the case, unless that is you think that Herb Alpert's 1968 recording reaching No.51 on the Billboard Hot 100 constitutes a 'hit'. The trouble is I don't think there's ever really been a definitive version of the song that absolutely nailed it and probably the nearest anyone came was Tony Orlando. It also appears to be the only recording to have had direct involvement from Bacharach and there's a nice quote from Tony Orlando found in the liner notes of 'The Look Of Love: The Ultimate Burt Bacharach Collection' regarding his input; "There's a little thing I do at the end of that song, 'Fall in love today-yay-yay'.....that was all Burt. He would sit at the piano and he would say, 'No, man, I want you to sing, "Yay-yay."' You'd never think that this classically trained, brilliant musician would worry about this little 'yay-yay'. I mean he really pushed on that."

Paul
pljms

Post by pljms »

I'd forgotten about a version of the song that's probably as 'definitive' as it gets and it's the recording from 1964 by Patti Page that lay in the vaults at Columbia until 2013 when it saw the light of day on the 'Lost Masters' compilation.

Paul