Finally, Warwick among 16 Nominees

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

Finally, Warwick among 16 Nominees

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Dionne Warwick has finally been nominated as a well-deserved inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. She is joined by 15 others, inclusive of 6 female artists: Carole King, Chaka Khan, and more.
All I can say is "It's about damned time"! Maybe they thought that now that she's turned 80, they'd better honor her before anything happens—"in a world such as this".
I think the choices of inductees will be revealed some time in May.
Djalma Junior

Re: Finally, Warwick among 16 Nominees

Post by Djalma Junior »

Great news.
She should have been recognized for many years.
Better late than never.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Certainly, Dionne deserves recognition for her accomplishments and contribution to popular music. No one disputes that.
I just wonder why inclusion in this roster of names constitutes a particular honor, the R&RHOF consisting as it does of virtually anyone and everyone who was influential and/or popular and/or sold a lot of records. In other words, it`s an index to an encyclopedia of (mostly) late 20th century pop figures. What does an award mean when it has been bestowed on everyone from Black Sabbath to Leonard Cohen?
Here is the full list of inductees. Make of it what you will:
https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/a-z
pljms

Post by pljms »

She hasn't been nominated before because this is very much a rock-based institution. It's the same reason why Bacharach and David have never been inducted while the songwriting teams more acceptable to the rock music establishment - Leiber and Stoller, Pomus and Schuman, Mann and Weill, Greenwich and Barry, Goffin and King and Holland, Dozier and Holland - all have.
Paul