"Ready Steady Burt!"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

"Ready Steady Burt!"

Post by blueonblue »

Vintage footage of a Burt interview at 33:05 from the classic UK pop show 'Ready Steady Go!' from the mid sixties

It's fun watching the kids trying to dance to a Bacharach song...an almost impossible task! :)

'blue'

pljms

Re: "Ready Steady Burt!"

Post by pljms »

Blue, thanks for posting this vintage slice of mid-60s 'Swinging London' and I think we can pin it down to August '64 as that was when Lou Johnson's 45 of 'There's Always Something There To Remind Me' was released. Although he's clearly very nervous, I think Bacharach acquits himself well during his interview with host Keith Fordyce and it's especially interesting hearing him talk about ASCAP. This particular compilation came from the era of the show when the majority of the performers were merely miming to their records and while Mick Jagger is fine lip-syncing to 'Little Red Rooster' he's caught daydreaming at the beginning of his harmonica solo. As far as I'm aware, Dave Clark still owns the rights to all the existing episodes of 'Ready Steady Go' so I'm surprised to see this readily available on YouTube.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A recent documentary about the show.......

'blue'
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

More vintage footage of Burt.....and Phil Spector....

'blue'
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

If Bacharach wasn't a household name in the UK already in the summer of 1964 when he appeared on Ready Steady Go he wasn't far off it, especially once he'd had a hit single and a best-selling album under his own name.

Like all hip and happening shows Ready Steady Go was too hot not to cool down, to quote the famous song and it did well to last as long as it did. I believe it was the first TV pop program anywhere to make the audience as much a part of the show as the artists and I suppose its lasting legacy is the amount of imitations it has spawned.