Bacharach Baroque by The Renaissance (complete album)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Bacharach Baroque by The Renaissance (complete album)

Post by pljms »

Many years ago a friend of mine told me he was convinced that The Swingle Singers had recorded an album of Bacharach hits in the same style as their Bach albums. I eventually found out that the album he'd heard was in fact by an American group based in LA called The Renaissance and was entitled 'Bacharach Baroque'. Perhaps the timing of the album - the early 70s - suggests that the popularity of South American Getaway from the Butch Cassidy score might have been the trigger for this project. I've never been able to find a copy of the album and hadn't heard a note of it anywhere until I discovered today that it had just been posted in its entirety on YouTube. It's a bright and breezy affair and an enjoyable enough listen but the lack of light and shade in the arrangements lends the eleven tracks a sameness which means that for some the album may have overstayed its welcome well before its twenty-four minutes and twelve seconds are up, especially those not partial to their "dubba-dubba-dubba-das". That said, I personally think it's worth sticking with as the tracks that in my opinion work the best are the three that close out the album, Walk On By, Alfie and Do You Know The Way To San Jose:

Paul
Djalma Junior

Re: Bacharach Baroque by The Renaissance (complete album)

Post by Djalma Junior »

"Bacharach Baroque - The Renaissance" album, well known by older Burt Bacharach fans.
I have it on vinyl.
True, all songs follow the same style as "South American Getaway".

00:00 - I'll Never Fall In Love Again
02:30 - (They Long To Be) Close To You
04:21 - Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head
06:56 - What The World Needs Now
09:18 - Always Something To Remind Me
11:06 - Blue On Blue
12:50 - I Say A Little Prayer
15:07 - The Look Of Love
17:22 - Walk On By
19:46 - Alfie
22:12 - Do You Know The Way To San Jose?

Thanks for posting.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

This album is completely new to me and although it's light and frothy I found it a joy to listen to, as refreshing as the first cup of coffee of the day.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Because of the brilliantly executed vocals I think the record by The Renaissance works a whole lot better than the much more well known 'Bacharach Baroque' album by the 18th Century Corporation, which once you got over the novelty of hearing Bacharach's music played by a small chamber group perhaps wasn't the most rewarding of listens. However, every now and then hearing music arranged and performed in a radically different way you find yourself appreciating once again the melodic beauty of a song you may have become indifferent to through over-exposure to the hit recording and in my case it's The Renaissance's version of 'Close To You'.

If the album by The Renaissance was ever released in Europe it must of had a very limited distribution because I've not come across a single copy in fifty years of serious record hunting in the UK, Germany, France and Spain, unlike The 18th Century Corporation record which I saw in all the British high street record stores in the early 70s and have continued to see occasionally at record fairs and in charity shops. The first time that I became aware of The Renaissance album was about fifteen years ago when I saw a copy on offer for a ridiculous amount on eBay. The seller was from the US which has been the case virtually every time I've subsequently seen LP copies for sale on that and other auction sites which suggests to me that the record was probably only ever released in the Americas. As for it being supposedly 'well known' to older Bacharach fans, I believe this thread is the first time it has been discussed or even referenced on the forum.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

I agree, it's more interesting than the 'Bacharach Baroque', without disparaging its authors.
Most of Burt Bacharach's older fans know the album 'Bacharach Baroque - The Renaissance'.
I have known it since 1978, when I bought it, as well as the LP album 'Pete Moore and Orchestra Plays The Best Of Bacharach', produced in 1970.
I just didn’t comment before here, because they don’t always give me due attention, just for that.
I apologize.

Kindly regards.
pljms

Post by pljms »

A collection of Bacharach's music that could almost rival the 'Bacharach Baroque' album by The Renaissance for both its rarity and lack of coverage on the forum is 'The Burt Bacharach and Hal David Treasury' by Terry Baxter His Orchestra and Chorus. Released in 1971 this 4 LP box set consisted of no less than forty tracks and among the rarely covered songs were Window Wishing, Go With Love, Try To See It My Way, Here Where There Is Love, Let Me Be Lonely, Who Is Gonna Love Me and The Green Grass Starts To Grow and must be far and away the most extensive recorded tribute to Bacharach by a single artist. Apparently it's a mixture of vocal renditions by a mixed chorus and orchestrated instrumentals and from the latter category comes this nice arrangement of 'Alfie', one of only two tracks from the box set I can find on YouTube:

Paul