The Bell That Couldn't Jingle

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Hank

The Bell That Couldn't Jingle

Post by Hank »

Shame Burt's Louis Armstrong impersonation wasn't a little stronger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsytReyjQ3w
pljms

Re: The Bell That Couldn't Jingle

Post by pljms »

It will give you some idea how totally ignored this song must have been here in the UK when a dedicated long-term Bacharach follower like myself could be completely unaware of its existence until the mid-90s, over thirty years after the first recording by Paul Evans. Here is that 45 from December 1962 which Bacharach also arranged:
Paul
ron hertel

Re: The Bell That Couldn't Jingle

Post by ron hertel »

pljms:

..... Such a great little composition - UNFORTUNATELY just too sophisticated (or complex) for wide exposure and acceptance. ... Only BB aficionados can appreciate the complexities of this great little song with its unique lyrics. I've asked people for years if they're familiar with it. ... Response is always a resounding "NO"! ... If people can't readily sing along with a song - it generally results in playlist & commercial failure! ... So many of MY favorite Bacharach compositions over the past 50+ years remain as "hidden gems" for the same reason! ..... I'm grateful for the fact that Burt never compromised and composed some of the greatest music over the past 70+ years with lots and lots of it achieving well deserved wide acceptance and commercial success!

ron