The Great Divide

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Roberto Pinardi

The Great Divide

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

New song
Magic
Blair N. Cummings

Re: The Great Divide

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Why do almost all political lyrics come off as soft-headed and sentimental? Is it because actual political conduct (on all sides) is, perforce, hard-headed to the point of near-sociopathy and the very act of writing anything (excepting perhaps arrest warrants and ransom notes) a romantic act?
The song at hand to my ears rates somewhere between the previous Federer collaborations "Bridges" (the stark, excellent, live version) and "Blanket Capes" (a misfire).
pljms

Post by pljms »

It sounds like classic Bacharach to me and there's a naturalness in the way the lyrics scan with the melody which hasn't always been apparent in the more recent songs. It also has an immediacy that engages you right from the start.
Paul
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Those are seriously good musicians and after many years of being familiar with their names through the credits on CD sleeves it's a pleasure to actually watch them in the studio making that song come alive.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

It must be a breath of fresh air for Bacharach to just occasionally be presented with a lyric which isn't about Love and in this instance it seems to have really inspired him. However, maybe it's just me but I can only make out about 80% of the lyric.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Martin Johnson wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:00 pm However, maybe it's just me but I can only make out about 80% of the lyric.
The video has been uploaded onto YouTube again, this time with the text of the lyrics of the song's chorus but, alas, not the two verses.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

That's helpful and it's a shame it's not accompanied by the complete lyrics as I still can't make out much in the line of the second verse that comes between "Gotta cool the anger down" and "See the truth through others eyes". Judging by the video footage the recording must have taken place before the pandemic, so in effect Bacharach has sat on this track for the best part of a year.