'Blue Umbrella'..'We Go Way Back'...'Whistling in the Dark' ..'Bacharach / Tashian

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

'Blue Umbrella'..'We Go Way Back'...'Whistling in the Dark' ..'Bacharach / Tashian

Post by blueonblue »

Latest songs by "The Dynamic Duo"...

'blue'
Last edited by blueonblue on Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
mark
Site Admin

Re: 'Blue Umbrella'..'We Go Way Back'...'Whistling in the Dark' ..'Bacharach / Tashian

Post by mark »

Burt and Daniel's EP was officially released today.

pljms

Re: 'Blue Umbrella'..'We Go Way Back'...'Whistling in the Dark' ..'Bacharach / Tashian

Post by pljms »

Apparently the five tracks that make up the EP have been in the can for about a year and I wonder if they weren't tempted in the interim to expand the project to a ten or twelve song album? While I think 'Bells Of St. Augustine' is the outstanding song, 'Blue Umbrella' and 'We Go Way Back' are real beauties too with archetypal Bacharach chord progressions.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:05 am Apparently the five tracks that make up the EP have been in the can for about a year and I wonder if they weren't tempted in the interim to expand the project to a ten or twelve song album? While I think 'Bells Of St. Augustine' is the outstanding song, 'Blue Umbrella' and 'We Go Way Back' are real beauties too with archetypal Bacharach chord progressions.
Paul,
Burt and Daniel have mentioned in interviews the possibility of an album, let's hope so, their collaboration shows truly great promise !

'blue'
David_Noble

Post by David_Noble »

This article does suggest there may be a future album -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 543232002/
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

In their recent Grammy Museum Q&A, Burt and Daniel indicated that they have two more songs completed (and recorded), and are currently writing (at least) one more. They alluded to a future release for the Japan market (which still very much emphasizes physical product) so I expect that a full album may indeed be on the way from the very simpatico pair. The EP is wonderful, and the title track "Blue Umbrella" is just devastating....quintessential Bacharach. That chorus ("Are you still under the same/blue umbrella? Do you still wear the same coat?") would have been comfortably at home in his late '60s/early '70s oeuvre. I had chills the first time I heard it, and by now it's lodged itself quite firmly in my head. It's a beautiful marriage of words and music, and I can't wait to hear what's to come.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

blueonblue wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:51 am
Burt and Daniel have mentioned in interviews the possibility of an album, let's hope so, their collaboration shows truly great promise !

'blue'
I concur wholeheartedly and I wonder if the term 'shows truly great promise' has ever been used in connection with a 92 year old before?

'We Go Way Back' did that very rare thing for a Bacharach composition, it got me on first hearing.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

With these songs (particularly for me, the title track) and Bridges, Burt is back - intentionally or not beginning to atone in a major way for the B-S years.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Blair, in referring to 'Bridges' I'm sure you must have meant 'Bells' as in the 'Bells Of St. Augustine'. That's still my particular favourite but I also like at least two of the others.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

No, I was referring to this:
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

A recent interview....

'blue'