'Searching Wind'

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

blueonblue

'Searching Wind'

Post by blueonblue »

I wonder if this piece of music inspired The Beatles to write 'The Fool on the Hill' ?

"blue"
pljms

Re: 'Searching Wind'

Post by pljms »

Yes except that I can't imagine that Paul McCartney, who apparently wrote 'The Fool On The Hill' by himself, would have had much if any opportunity to have heard the rarer than rare 'Searching Wind'.

This is as good an opportunity as any to feature Jackie Trent and Tony Hatch's delightful recording of 'The Fool On The Hill'.

Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:21 pm Yes except that I can't imagine that Paul McCartney, who apparently wrote 'The Fool On The Hill' by himself, would have had much if any opportunity to have heard the rarer than rare 'Searching Wind'.

This is as good an opportunity as any to feature Jackie Trent and Tony Hatch's delightful recording of 'The Fool On The Hill'.

Paul,
That's a superb version.

My own particular favourite...

"blue"
pljms

Post by pljms »

blue, the recording by Sergio Mendes is my particular favourite too and it's great to hear it again.
Paul
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I don`t know; these two melodies are too similar to my ears for that to be coincidental. Who knows what the composer of "Fool On the Hill" had an opportunity to hear?
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I see that 'The Searching Wind' is credited to the writing team of Heyman and Young. I wonder what their reaction was when they first heard 'The Fool On The Hill'? They couldn't have sued Lennon and McCartney for plagiarism because I'm sure we'd have heard about it.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Certainly when you hear the original song from 1946 as sung by Dick Haymes the similarity is much less obvious and in my opinion would be barely discernible to most listeners. Victor Young, the song's composer, died in 1956 so wasn't around by the time the Beatles recorded 'The Fool On The Hill'.

Paul