Burt to write foreword to new book

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

BarryPugh47

Re: Burt to write foreword to new book

Post by BarryPugh47 »

Firstly, thank you to all the people who have amazingly viewed this post. Over the weekend, it appears a few thousand people have viewed it. Perhaps it may well be the current trend of over exaggerated algorithms, but at least it has stimulated an announcement. So, in the next few weeks, and certainly to coincide with Anita's 94th birthday, the book will appear at last. The continual problems of contracts will mean that the bonus music may have to be shelved for a while. But, I guess in life, you can't have everything! To the best of my knowledge, Burt has never agreed to write a foreword to any other book, and I am sure you will enjoy his comments on this extraordinary musician. Just to remind everyone, the only other artist I can think of who is a singer, a pianist, a producer, an orchestrator, an arranger, a composer and a conductor (apart from Burt of course!) is Anita Kerr. No wonder he speaks so well of her!
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

BarryPugh47 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:46 pm Just to remind everyone, the only other artist I can think of who is a singer, a pianist, a producer, an orchestrator, an arranger, a composer and a conductor (apart from Burt of course!) is Anita Kerr. No wonder he speaks so well of her!
Well, there's also Jimmy Webb although like Burt he's no great shakes as a singer.
BarryPugh47

Post by BarryPugh47 »

Hmmm Martin. I am a great admirer of Jimmy Webb (along with Michel Legrand, Ennio Morricone and Dave Grusin), but I cannot recall Jimmy conducting any orchestra. Maybe I am wrong. Not only did Anita conduct the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in London, but the 14 albums she recorded with the American poet Rod Mckuen, under the San Sebastian Strings banner (one of which achieved platinum status) - she was responsible for composing, orchestrating and conducting the orchestra!
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Barry, on many of the albums Webb arranged and produced for the likes of Richard Harris, The 5th Dimension and Thelma Houston he is also credited as the conductor, plus I've seen him conduct the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with my own eyes at the Royal Festival Hall in 1977 when they accompanied Glen Campbell. Here's some video footage taken from that concert with Glen Campbell welcoming Jimmy Webb on to the stage to conduct the orchestra:

BarryPugh47

Post by BarryPugh47 »

Martin - I am delighted to be proven wrong, and thank you for the concert footage which I had not seen before. Was very lucky to see Jimmy Webb live in March 1998 (Croydon) and again in May 2005 (Hammersmith). Wasn't the Richard Harris album 'The Yard Went on Forever' a masterpiece? How could someone (Jimmy) at the age of 21 conceive such an album! Anyway, back to Burt (who remains my favourite composer), and you can imagine what a pure delight it was when he called me at home to discuss the merits of Anita's career. Jimmy is my second favourite composer, followed by Grusin, Legrand, Morricone, Stevie Wonder and Michael Ruff. Just as a piece of nostalgia for you - the year you saw Jimmy Webb with Glen Campbell, I was fortunate to see live the following artists in the same year: Abba, Gene Pitney, Jack Jones, Eagles, Frankie Valli, Johnny Mathis, Neil Sedaka and Rod McKuen. Gracious - they were wonderful times eh! Thanks again Martin.
I will keep the forum updated on the imminent publication of the book.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I too attended that Glen Campbell concert with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and it was mainly because of Jimmy Webb's involvement as the support act and as the guest conductor that my sister and I went along. Enjoyable though the show was as a whole it was marred somewhat for us by some very ignorant people sat directly behind who made disparaging remarks about Webb's singing voice and what they perceived as his unsuitability to the role of Campbell's support act all the way through his short set and it became very clear to me that they had absolutely no idea of his achievements as a songwriter and who he was in relation to Glen Campbell's career, the sort of people who obviously never look at the writing credits on album sleeves. It was only our resistance as shy teenagers to causing a scene that stopped my sister and I from turning round and telling these people where to get off. I recall that Webb performed 'The Highwayman' and 'Mixed-Up Guy' from his album 'El Mirage', which he was promoting at the time, plus 'Didn't We' and perhaps one or two others, all accompanied by the RPO.
BarryPugh47

Post by BarryPugh47 »

At last I can announce the publication of 'Anita Kerr - America's First Lady of Music' with the foreword by Burt. It seems a long time ago when Burt called me (December 2019) and we spent 20 minutes discussing the merits of Anita. His admirative words open the book. The date of publication will be October 13, when Anita will be 94 years of age. A fitting tribute to a lady, whom I believe is the great untold story of popular music. Her career has inspired women to follow in her footsteps. Soft cover with 287 pages. The book will be available through www.amazon.com
I will be obtaining a dozen or so copies for myself to sale on. Should anyone be interested, please contact me accordingly. I hope you will enjoy the book as much as I have enjoyed putting it together over the last 6 years or so!
BarryPugh47

Post by BarryPugh47 »

I am excited to announce ahead of this weeks book publication, a double CD in celebration of 6 years work! Initially, the CD will be limited to the first 20 people who choose to purchase the book directly through myself. It will only be available on this forum - it is for personal use only, and not for resale. At the end of the book, under the Author's Postlude heading, you will see my own personal favourite Anita Kerr recordings. Amongst them are 4 by Burt and Hal, of which 2 have never been issued on CD. This double CD will bear the same title as the book, and contain 34 Anita Kerr tracks; half of which, again, have never before been available on CD. There will be no profit or financial gain. I'm sure, like everyone else on this forum, we are only interested in the music!
The book - Anita Kerr - America's First Lady of Music - will carry a reduced price of 20 US dollars should you wish to contact me directly and obtain the double CD, with an additional 10 US dollars for postage. The UK price will be £22 including postage. Anywhere else in Europe will be 26 Euros including postage.