The beginning of a New Year

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

someonenameddavid

The beginning of a New Year

Post by someonenameddavid »

Don't expect our immortal composer to be slowing down anytime soon. He has 2020 vision
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
nowmedical

Re: The beginning of a New Year

Post by nowmedical »

Always good to get inside information from David.
UK and Europe I hope.
pljms

Post by pljms »

nowmedical, I think someonenameddavid will have to put a bit more meat on the bones for me to regard what he posted as 'information'! Still, if he's alluding to the likelihood of more concert tours next year then that has to be great news. However, what would really excite me is the prospect of a new Bacharach album and there's certainly enough material to draw upon from these past ten years. In fact I believe Bacharach has experienced something of an Indian Summer in his composing in the last decade and for example from the musical Some Lovers we have gems like Every Other Hour, Hush, Just Walk Away, Hold Me, Ready to be Done With You and the title song. And from New York Animals there's Something That Was Beautiful. Then there's Dancing With Your Shadow from the 'Po' soundtrack and best of all in my opinion there's the song that's already become a concert staple since it was introduced less than 18 months ago, With A Voice. If you add a few of his recent collaborations with Elvis Costello then there's enough I think for a terrific album, especially if he uses the three singers he's toured with these past twenty years and who would really do justice to this material, some of which they've already performed on and off for a number of years during Bacharach's shows.
Paul
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Speaking of New York Animals (which I have always thought had a stronger score than Some Lovers - despite the latter stealing a song or two from the former), I have a fantasy of Burt making an album with Jo Lampert. It will never happen. Burt has said that he will never do a project with a singer again because there would be no profit in it, given the streaming services we have now. But, she gets him...and what a voice.
someonenameddavid

I would love to put "meat on the bones" but occasionally I have overstepped and don't want to talk someone out of a job. It is obvious that Burt is in control and will do what he wants to do. He has great rapport with his fans in a live setting, and I think we will see more intimate shows this year.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Unless David you are now a double agent, employed by BB's HQ to test the water....
someonenameddavid

I have been accused of being a double agent for P*** A***...... but I would be thrilled to bits to report a tour of Italy, Germany Scandinavia and the UK: but I can't, not right now, and I know that those "really in the know " scan these posts from time to time. All I'm saying is that the man with the skills does not forget his fans, that performing is his thing and small venues work well. There's nothing too privileged in that information. who knows, he might go right around the world...
someonenameddavid

Ok, some one else said it on the net: Japan in April.
harrymcc

Post by harrymcc »

I hope he comes to the Bay Area in 2020. He didn’t in 2019, for the first time in quite awhile.
resome

Post by resome »

someonenameddavid wrote:Ok, some one else said it on the net: Japan in April.
Really? I plan to be in Japan in April :D
someonenameddavid

There may well be a thriller of a followup
gabba

Post by gabba »

Burt is the real son of a gun .... :P