Jeffrey Foskett's 'Prayer'

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

bminnick

Jeffrey Foskett's 'Prayer'

Post by bminnick »

Excerpt from theseconddisc.com review:

The band (minus Vaughn and plus Austin Hoke and Kristin Webe on cellos and violins, respectively) gives another impressive performance on a reworking of Burt Bacharach and Hal David’s “I Say a Little Prayer.” Boasting a vocal arrangement by none other than Brian Wilson, a haunting, SMiLE-esque piano part, and woodwinds and strings, this recording of the oft-covered song doesn’t skimp on the song’s uplift but gives equal footing to the inherent shadows in the Vietnam-era composition. By turning the lyric on its side (“You say a little prayer for me,” Foskett sings), it’s not hard to imagine a soldier in a far-away land pining for his love. Surely Hal David, who cited the war as an inspiration for his famous words, would have been proud. (Side note: As Brian Wilson began but never finished Beach Boys recordings of Bacharach and David’s “Walk on By” and “My Little Red Book,” this is a close approximation of what a Brian-ized version of “I Say a Little Prayer” might have sounded like!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4h7F5OdoLc