R.I.P.—Peggy Lipton

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

R.I.P.—Peggy Lipton

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Peggy Lipton who was best known for her role as Julie Barnes in the television show "The Mod Squad" has passed away at age 72 with her daughters and nieces beside her. She succumbed to cancer.
She was previously married to Quincy Jones. In 1968, the year she made her acting debut in "The Mod Squad", she released a very impressive album from Ode Records—a subsidiary label to A & M Records. I remember hearing it for the first time at an acquaintance's home and didn't know that she could sing as well as act. To me, each and every song was like an encore—rich in texture and technique. Her vocals made me stand straight up and take notice because during that time, I was into the likes of Dionne, Dusty, and Jackie, especially their Bacharach/David songs. Peggy's recently re-released Ode album features an unreleased Bacharach/David song titled "Wanting Things" taken from the Broadway Production of "Promises, Promises".
My condolences are extended to her family, friends, and many fans.
pljms

Re: R.I.P.—Peggy Lipton

Post by pljms »

I associated Peggy Lipton with an obscure Jimmy Webb song which was a single release for her in early '69. The fact that the title of the song includes the words 'county' and 'line' suggests that her producer Lou Adler might just have asked Webb for something to remind listeners of his most recent hit song. Webb also did the arrangement with Joe Osborne's very distinctive bass guitar prominent in the mix just as it was on those early 5th Dimension records.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=55C_0TdfBak
Paul
Blair N. Cummings

Re: R.I.P.—Peggy Lipton

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

A beautiful woman and an under-rated talent gone too soon.
I last saw her nearly thirty years ago in a small role for David Lynch`s television series, Twin Peaks.