André Previn 1929 - 2019

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

André Previn 1929 - 2019

Post by pljms »

During the time he was principal conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra in the late 60s to the mid-70s he was on British television a lot, playing, conducting and talking about music. Through him I discovered the music of great English composers like Ralph Vaughan Williams and William Walton and he also put the spotlight firmly and squarely on Russian composers Shostakovich and Prokofiev before it became fashionable to do so and it was when I heard his and the LSO's recording of the latter's 5th symphony that I discovered I could fully appreciate and enjoy a work lasting forty-five minutes or more.

Here he is in the mid-60s guesting on the Andy Williams Show and playing 'Get Me to the Church on Time'. Undoubtably one of music's genuine and great all rounders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JoO_BsYUg6Y
Paul
Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: Andre Previn 1929 - 2019

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

André Previn's music will forever be etched in time. I remember (I'm 68) when he won Academy Awards for "Gigi" and "Porgy & Bess" in 1958 and 1959, respectively, while still in his 20's and 2 more for Best Adaptation or Treatment in 1963 and 1964 for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady", respectively. When I saw him in a PBS special with Oscar Peterson, Jr. in the 70's, I was totally blown away! But out of his many compositions, my favorite one that he and Dory wrote was "(Theme from) The Valley of the Dolls" sung so beautifully by the delightfully and different Dionne Warwick. My condolences to his family, friends, and his many fans.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Another great loss.
2019 is taking good musicians away.
Andre Previn leaves a great musical legacy and a gap in the art of Music.

R.I.P. Andre Previn.

Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

When you consider how successful and multifaceted Andre Previn's career was it's a shame that here in the UK he's probably best remembered for his appearance in a sketch on a Morecambe and Wise TV Christmas special from 1971, during which he was referred to as "Andrew Preview", a moniker that was apparently used privately among British classical musicians for years afterwards. Certainly that was the most shown clip on UK TV news coverage of his death yesterday.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

He was as charismatic and as good a communicator as Leonard Bernstein and I remember a series of programs he made for BBC television in the 70s in which he talked about a specific piece of music, usually a symphony or a concerto by a famous composer, went through it stage by stage with the London Symphony Orchestra culminating in a complete performance. In each and every instance it was a revelation to me and my understanding and appreciation of the work in question increased tenfold.
someonenameddavid

Re: André Previn 1929 - 2019

Post by someonenameddavid »

Having mentioned Morecambe and Wise, could someone please find Burt's appearance on their show... "Mr Backache".
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

someonenameddavid wrote:Having mentioned Morecambe and Wise, could someone please find Burt's appearance on their show... "Mr Backache".
Bacharach never actually made an appearance on the Morecambe and Wise show and the reference to "Burt Backache" in one of their shows was in a sketch with Shirley Bassey after Ernie Wise tells her he's written a song and Eric Morecambe says, "Yes, it's in the style of Burt Backache".
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

Oh, that's why I couldnt find it....
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

The 12 minutes of the Morecambe and Wise Christmas special from 1971 that helped turn Andre Previn into a household name in the UK. How good is he in this sketch? Now our American colleagues on the forum can see what passed for humour, or should that be humor, in the UK circa 1971:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxIO7I_qJA8
pljms

Post by pljms »

I suppose after 'Theme From Valley of the Dolls' Previn's most famous song is 'You're Gonna Hear From Me', not an easy song to sing by any stretch of the imagination but sung here by Andy Williams with his usual aplomb and with the composer at the piano.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKPR4Uy4ZI
Paul
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Previn during his stint with the LSO talking about conducting and sending himself up beautifully.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j0U70qefrZA