New Dionne Album

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

New Dionne Album

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

On CBS' "Sunday Morning" broadcast this morning, Dionne was interviewed by Mo Rocca and they discussed her career. It was music to my ears when it was announced that she has a new album coming out this year. Just like the 60's, I eagerly await this new project with much enthusiasm as Dionne remains my favorite singer of all time. I really wish Burt would surprise us all by contributing to this forthcoming album—that would certainly be the icing on the cake!
Martyn

Re: New Dionne Album

Post by Martyn »

And here's that interview. A couple of rare 60s video snippets with Burt and Hal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E0wv6-gDuQ

Martyn
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

If this isn`t at least a partial reunion with Burt, it will be just another uninteresting album that almost no-one will care about.

We`re getting close to the end here. It`s now or never.

Sorry if this sounds cold but it`s true.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Blair, with Damon Elliott at the helm, I am afraid that this album will be just as dreadful as those he produced for his mom in the early 2000s. At least from what I’m hearing this may be a little bit of a departure since apparently they are not mining Warwick’s back catalogue. I do recall that the previously produced albums were horribly cheap sounding and done on a shoestring and didn’t sell. Interestingly enough, I caught a little snarkiness in the interview toward Bacharach when Mo Rocca was discussing her break up with Bacharach/David. I doubt very seriously that Bacharach and Warwick have any plans to work together again. I believe this album if it ever comes out is one last attempt for Damon Elliot to wring whatever he can financially out of his mom. That’s been his MO for years. I would bet money that it was his brainchild to announce the Warwick bio pic a couple of years ago which will likely never happen. There are no financial backers beating the door down and Elliott projects usually have a stench about them, particularly in the past 10 years. And the insane stunt to announce that Lady Gaga has been cast as Cilla Black. Such pure Damon Elliott horse shit. In music circles he’s a pretty sleazy operator.
pljms

Post by pljms »

BachtoBacharach wrote:...... I would bet money that it was his brainchild to announce the Warwick bio pic a couple of years ago which will likely never happen. There are no financial backers beating the door down and Elliott projects usually have a stench about them, particularly in the past 10 years. And the insane stunt to announce that Lady Gaga has been cast as Cilla Black.
I recall that we had quite a bit of fun here with that publicity stunt, particularly the idea of Lady Gaga attempting a Liverpool accent. Then we speculated that they might consider casting Justin Bieber as Burt. Yes, it did all add to the gaiety of nations for a day or two.
Paul
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

The break with Bacharach/David was certainly not a "blessing" as she disingenuously stated. She was engaged, as we all know, for years in litigation over their (well, really, just Bacharach`s) breach of contract.

She hasn`t had any really good material since then.

Whatever the state of their current personal relations, one would like to think that they would consider their legacy and give a shot at one final killer recording.
But they probably won`t.
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

The only really good song she had since then was Captives of the Heart, which turned out to be written by... you know who...
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

..... Hoping for the best - while fearing the worst! .... Heard somewhere that the initial single release may be another take on "What The World Needs Now". You may recall that prior to the release of "Dionne Sings Dionne" 20 years ago - a 4 track CD was released with 4 versions of that song. ... Only one appeared on the "DSD" CD. In terms of recent projects I found some listenable well produced (by the late Phil Ramone) recordings on the 2012 "NOW" album.