Burt in Carmel-by—the-Sea

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

harrymcc

Burt in Carmel-by—the-Sea

Post by harrymcc »

Just went to Burt’s sold-out concert here—the eleventh time I’ve seen him, I think, and a 20th anniversary special since the first time was at the “One Amazing Night” concert.

It was a joy as usual, and significantly different from the last one I attended, last year in San Francisco, with more recent material than usual (“With a Voice” was the standout), a classic or two I don’t remember him playing lately (“Baby It’s You”), and some enjoyable holdovers (“Mexican Divorce”). I always enjoy hearing Burt sing at these concerts, and at this one he even did “Baby It’s You’s” initial sha-la-la-la.

He also talked more than usual between songs—a fact which delighted me—on a surprising range of topics: Aretha Franklin, music royalties for songs played on Pandora, the fact that he impulsively checks his phone for news the moment he wakes up but wishes he didn’t. This led to a regrettable moment when he talked about the record-setting heat during various summer stops on his tour and asked the audience to think of the climate for their children and grandchildren. A couple of jackasses shouted “play music!,” which seems a rude demand to make on several levels, especially of a 90-year-old. Then others, including me, shouted “keep talking!”

He did, commenting “You’re the toughest audience we’ve had in a while.” The incident ended with applause from the vast majority of attendees, but I was embarrassed that even a handful of people had been disrespectful.

Burt certainly looks *smaller* than he did when I first started going to see him, but his vigor was remarkable tonight. He said that this was the last stop on his current tour, and his last scheduled concert for quite awhile. I believe it’s also the last one listed on this website’s “On Tour” page. I can’t quite believe he’s still touring, but I’m thrilled that he is.
pljms

Re: Burt in Carmel-by—the-Sea

Post by pljms »

harrymcc wrote:..He also talked more than usual between songs—a fact which delighted me—on a surprising range of topics: Aretha Franklin, music royalties for songs played on Pandora, the fact that he impulsively checks his phone for news the moment he wakes up but wishes he didn’t. This led to a regrettable moment when he talked about the record-setting heat during various summer stops on his tour and asked the audience to think of the climate for their children and grandchildren. A couple of jackasses shouted “play music!,” which seems a rude demand to make on several levels, especially of a 90-year-old. Then others, including me, shouted “keep talking!”

He did, commenting “You’re the toughest audience we’ve had in a while.” The incident ended with applause from the vast majority of attendees, but I was embarrassed that even a handful of people had been disrespectful.
I hope those "Jackasses" never go and see Jimmy Webb in concert as his shows these days are about 50% talk, although admittedly he doesn't tend to go on about climate change.
Paul
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

It's taken years for Bacharach to feel at ease addressing an audience and now he seems to enjoy it so much he's positively garrulous. I must admit I tend to prefer it if my favourite artists keep the talk down to an acceptable minimum, so going to a Jimmy Webb gig for me now is totally out of the question and has been for years. However, it's possible to say too little. An old British jazz musician's only utterance famously was this announcement just before he and his band started their opening number, "Have a nice evening and if we don't see you again at one of our gigs, have a nice life".
harrymcc

Post by harrymcc »

Burt still doesn't talk THAT much, to the degree you might feel like he's robbing you of music. And ultimately, the quality of the talk determines how much quantity feels right. I saw Herb Alpert and Lani Hall last year and their show had a high patter quotient, and it was very enjoyable.
harrymcc

Post by harrymcc »

I was also lucky enough to see Miles Davis, who stuck to his famous tradition of largely ignoring the audience--and even satirized himself by introducing us to the band by facing away from us and holding up signs.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Martin Johnson wrote:It's taken years for Bacharach to feel at ease addressing an audience and now he seems to enjoy it so much he's positively garrulous. I must admit I tend to prefer it if my favourite artists keep the talk down to an acceptable minimum, so going to a Jimmy Webb gig for me now is totally out of the question and has been for years. However, it's possible to say too little. An old British jazz musician's only utterance famously was this announcement just before he and his band started their opening number, "Have a nice evening and if we don't see you again at one of our gigs, have a nice life".
Yes, having seen BB twice this summer, in London and in Berlin, I'd say he's never been on better form with his talks and introductions and often very amusing too, but never overdoing it, never letting it get in the way of the music.

Martin, I think that Jazz musician must be the famously laconic Don Weller. He has also been known to say things like, "Just in case you're interested, this next tune is called 'The Way You Look Tonight' as apposed to the way you're gonna look tomorrow morning", and at the end of the gig, "If you have been, thanks for listening". My favourite Don Weller story is when he was part of a British 'All Star' band on a short government funded Goodwill tour of China and his colleagues asked him if he'd like to join them on a visit to see the Great Wall and he replied, "No, I've got a wall in my back garden".
Paul