Concert choice

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Re: Concert choice

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

For some reason, I found both Cat Stevens and Christopher Cross to be unlistenable. But I didn`t mind this three or four hit wonder. I never bothered with his albums but the singles showed a higher-than-average melodic sense. I wonder why he vanished so fast. From `73:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV2E3q9rUXA
As for the tourist factor in the clubs - The Vanguard has always been a strict enforcer of silence and stopped serving food over thirty-five years ago. That had the salutary result of eliminating the extra percussion effects of knives on dinner plates. The Blue Note still has a menu but tables are cleared before the performance begins. My guess is that the musicians themselves finally confronted the club owners regarding patrons who were simply using the performance as background music for their dinner conversation. I`m sure you`ve heard live recordings from as late as the early-to-mid sixties of people just chattering away throughout entire sets.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:For some reason, I found both Cat Stevens and Christopher Cross to be unlistenable. But I didn`t mind this three or four hit wonder. I never bothered with his albums but the singles showed a higher-than-average melodic sense. I wonder why he vanished so fast. From `73:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV2E3q9rUXA
As for the tourist factor in the clubs - The Vanguard has always been a strict enforcer of silence and stopped serving food over thirty-five years ago. That had the salutary result of eliminating the extra percussion effects of knives on dinner plates. The Blue Note still has a menu but tables are cleared before the performance begins. My guess is that the musicians themselves finally confronted the club owners regarding patrons who were simply using the performance as background music for their dinner conversation. I`m sure you`ve heard live recordings from as late as the early-to-mid sixties of people just chattering away throughout entire sets.
'Every Song Has It's Play' (1995) IMHO Gilbert's best album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E5t_5vvJ8U

'blue'
pljms

Post by pljms »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:..... I`m sure you`ve heard live recordings from as late as the early-to-mid sixties of people just chattering away throughout entire sets.
I've got a recording taken at Ronnie Scott's of the notoriously prickly Blossom Dearie chastising people at a table near the stage between songs for daring to talk among themselves during her previous number. I saw her at the same venue in the early 90s when before bringing her on stage Ronnie Scott relayed to the audience her requests that we stop eating, didn't smoke and that we kept as quiet as possible during her set. When some wag yelled out, "Are we allowed to breathe?", Ronnie replied, "Yes, but only if it's in time to the music."
Paul