Love Story ST?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Love Story ST?

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`ve recently heard a rumor that Burt was offered the job of composing the score for the `69 tear-jerker, Love Story.
Jimmy Webb submitted a score deemed "too experimental" and had it rejected and, as we know, Frances Lai ended up doing it.
Can anyone confirm whether or not Burt was offered a shot at it? Was he already obligated to the Butch Cassidy... or Lost Horizon project?
BtoB, are you looking in?
pljms

Re: Love Story ST?

Post by pljms »

Blair, I've been familiar with the story of Jimmy Webb's 'Love Song' being rejected as the theme to 'Love Story' in favour of Francis Lai's and Carl Sigman's 'Where Do I Begin', leading to Lai scoring the movie, for decades. However, until only yesterday and on a similar forum to this I had never before heard Bacharach's name mentioned in connection with the movie. My feeling is that when such a renowned composer as Bacharach either turns down a commission or indeed has his work rejected, especially in that particular timeframe, it's big news and would be out in the public domain almost immediately. As for it clashing with another movie he might have been scoring at the time, it probably would have been too late for it to have coincided with 'Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid' (1969) and too early for 'Lost Horizon' (1972)
Paul
blueonblue

Re: Love Story ST?

Post by blueonblue »

Blair and Paul, the 'Love Story'' question was also raised on the 'FSM' (Film Score Monthly) forum yesterday.
Here are some of the responses.....(so far)
https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/ ... &archive=0

'blue'
PS
'Love Story' was released in 1970