With A Voice

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Re: With A Voice

Post by nowmedical »

Fabulous, thank you pjms for posting. Whatever happened to that song.
pljms

Post by pljms »

I've been playing Bacharach on the old Joanna for over forty years and what I've found is that the best songs of his are not only very rewarding to play but my appreciation of them simply as pieces of music without the adornment of vocals and orchestral arrangement increases tenfold, and 'With A Voice' is definitely one of those songs.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt3q5Ddx97g
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

"Haunting" melody.....memorable.

"Bacharach's songs are simple ...yet complicated"
(Herb Alpert)

'blue'
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

I agree 'blue'

Last night - Another great evening with Burt and The San Diego Symphony. Biggest audience response was to John Pagano's performance of "With A Voice" which Burt introduced with comments on the HOT weather in Europe experienced during their 12 performance tour which ended this past week - and - then coming back here to Del Mar and experiencing the same HOT conditions (it really has been unusually HOT here). He stated this in the context of global warming and those who deny its existence.

Other than "climate" change" Burt's only other somewhat political comment came when he referred to the "big beautiful proposed wall" as he introduced Donna Taylor singing "Mexican Divorce"

In his inimitable style - he performed full length solos on "Alfie" and "A House Is Not A Home"!

Burt spoke about how pleased he was with his work with Elvis Costello on the "Painted From Memory" album - emphasizing the word ALBUM versus what he referred to as "free music" today. ... John then performed "This House Is Empty Now" which was also very well received!

Concert ended somewhat abruptly when Burt realized and announced they had reached their contractually limited time with the Symphony musicians. NO ENCORE! ... Instead a relatively short FIREWORKS show that probably involved contractual obligations as well!

Ron
pljms

Post by pljms »

The video at the beginning of this thread of 'With A Voice' being performed at a Bacharach concert in Italy last year has long since disappeared from YouTube but a friend has alerted me to the fact that John Pagano has posted a video on his Facebook page of a different performance of the song also recorded last year at a BB concert, an outdoor event by the sounds of it. Hardly a day goes by without me playing this beautiful piece on the piano but watching this video now represents the first time I've heard the song actually sung in over a year and it begs the question just when is it going to get a proper recording by a major artist?

https://www.facebook.com/JohnPaganoLive ... 0Mjk4OTU4/
Paul
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Slower than I remember it from Oxford last year but still special. Based purely on this concert version of the song I'd say it's one of Bacharach's best compositions of the last fifty years.