Burt in Berlin, Germany, July 14th, 2018

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Chris1968

Burt in Berlin, Germany, July 14th, 2018

Post by Chris1968 »

I just came back home and I´m still thrilled about the Burt Bacharach concert tonight here in my hometown Berlin. It started around 8.15 and it ended around 10.30 p.m. The "Admiralspalast" was sold out. As Burt entered the stage, the audience gave him a standing ovation. It was marvellous. Burt mentioned that this was his second time in Berlin. The first time he was here, was with Marlene Dietrich in the early 60´s. Wow, over 50 years ago!!! And now that wonderful comeback. The last time I saw Burt was exactly 2 years ago, July 2016 in Copenhagen, Denmark. And said to myself, when he comes back to Europe I will be there but I never expected to see him here in Berlin. So tonight´s concert I will never forget. It was pure emotion. I´m sure all the members here in the Forum are Bacharach experts and so I don´t need write what´s happened on stage. All the familiar faces were on stage: Eliza James on the violin, Donna Taylor, Josie James, John Pagano and all the other musicians. Good to see them again incl. Oliver Bacharach. I hope they enjoyed Berlin and I hope also that they have a good hotel here in Berlin so the gang have a good ride or flight to Aarhus, Denmark where they are performing on July 16th. It was a special night tonight!!! Thank you.
Chris1968

Re: Burt in Berlin, Germany, July 14th, 2018

Post by Chris1968 »

Here´s a concert review. It´s in german. But the photos speak for itself.
https://www.deutschlandfunkkultur.de/bu ... _id=422982
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

I know the band felt the amazing energy from the audience, and there was a "let's come back next year" vibe to the show.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

I note he didn't wear an England football shirt to this particular gig...
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

nowmedical wrote:I note he didn't wear an England football shirt to this particular gig...
:lol:

'blue'
Chris1968

Post by Chris1968 »

pljms

Post by pljms »

I am visiting the city at the moment and consider myself very lucky to have witnessed Bacharach's Berlin concert on Saturday evening which was stupendous for the amount of hits played and the reception he got from the audience, which if anything was even more enthusiastic than from a typical London audience. There were lots of songs played that weren't featured at the Festival Hall a week before, including I Just Don't know what to do with Myself, 24 Hours From Tulsa, I'll Never Fall in Love Again, Message to Michael, Baby It's You and, most surprisingly, Stronger than Before. All we lost from the London Show to make way for those extra numbers were Be Aware and Bridges, one of the new songs written with Melody Federer. He apologised for staying away from Berlin for so long and promised to return soon and after a reception and a response like that he'll want to return in a hurry.
Paul
pljms

Post by pljms »

Intriguingly the most sustained applause of the evening for an individual number was for 'Blanket of Capes', one of the new songs featuring lyrics by Melody Federer. Maybe because it was Bacharach's first vocal performance of the set and alone at the piano but the applause must have continued for up to two minutes. Hearing John Pagano once again perform 'With A Voice', the second new number of the evening, confirmed the stunning impression the song made on me at the Festival Hall the weekend before and this too received a warm and appreciative response from the Berlin audience.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote:Intriguingly the most sustained applause of the evening for an individual number was for 'Blanket of Capes', one of the new songs featuring lyrics by Melody Federer. Maybe because it was Bacharach's first vocal performance of the set and alone at the piano but the applause must have continued for up to two minutes. Hearing John Pagano once again perform 'With A Voice', the second new number of the evening, confirmed the stunning impression the song made on me at the Festival Hall the weekend before and this too received a warm and appreciative response from the Berlin audience.
Paul,
Let's hope these new songs are released or at least appear on youtube......I'm dying to hear them.

'blue'
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

I'm going to see Burt in Rome next week - maybe I can do something with my i-phone.