Usher samples '73 Warwick tune!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

warwicologist

Usher samples '73 Warwick tune!

Post by warwicologist »

Well,
There is a GOD! Someone decided to finally sample one of Dionne's old tunes. Usher's new CD, dropped this past Tuesday, samples Dionne's Holland-Dozier-Holland's produced track "You're gonna need me" on a tune called "Throwback". It uses the opening of the song, and samples Dionne singing the opening lines..."mmmmm...you're gonna want me back..you're gonna need me!", all throughout the song.

I bet a lot of the young kids listening to the tune won't even recognize the voice as Dionne's! I hope they read the liner notes! I heard that Usher's mother, a Warwick fan, recommended he sample the tune. Thanks mom!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Unfortunately - Dionne's 1973 album "Just Being Myself" was released during those Warner years where anything she recorded was underappreciated and unfairly compared to all her work with Burt & Hal.
Dionne had no choice but to move on after Burt & Hal decided to go their separate ways - and "move on" she did!

"You're Gonna Need Me" has always been a non BB/HD favorite of mine. Pleased to hear Mom brought it to light!