Remember New York Animals?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Remember New York Animals?

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Since we`re on the subject of suppressed songs, what became of these?
I still maintain that those I heard were infinitely superior to the Gift of the Magi/Some Lovers stuff. I never warmed to much of any of it.
And - lest we forget - there remains the score of the unproduced Sleeping Beauty (as Blue likes to remind us).
We all know what a control freak Burt is. He surely would prefer to supervise the release of this material rather than allow a posthumous cash-grab by who knows what corporate entities.
blueonblue

Re: Remember New York Animals?

Post by blueonblue »

'Snow White' ....Blair, the one Burt composed with B.A Robertson in 1995
Incidentally, 'New York Animals' is superb !

'blue'
PS
Sorry to keep 'bangin' on about The 'Snow White' project...but we may hear the songs some day
(don't hold your breath)
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Blue, you can hardly be accused of "banging on" about something I can't remember being mentioned before in the seven years I've been parking my bike on this forum.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin Johnson wrote:Blue, you can hardly be accused of "banging on" about something I can't remember being mentioned before in the seven years I've been parking my bike on this forum.
"There was one with BA Robertson, the Snow White thing. I put a lot of time into, spent a lot of money going to England two or three times. thought the songs were pretty good, could never get the book really straightened out. It's hard to take a standard fairy tale and put it into a different kind of setting. We didn't do it right. We did it musically OK. BA's a great writer. I haven't talked to him in a long time. The whole thing came down to where we didn't part the best of friends. Hey, anybody who can write a song like "The Living Years" is a great writer.
(Bacharach interviewed by Serene Dominic 2003)

There's a brief mention in this documentary at 43:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcGDvUgewu4
'blue'
Last edited by blueonblue on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Re Snow White, are the songs that bad to be kept under wraps for over twenty years? If Bacharach won't touch them with a barge pole, why hasn't BA Robertson, once a successful recording artist in his own right, cut them or is their association with a failed project and the resulting falling out with Bacharach too great to overcome?
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Martin Johnson wrote:Re Snow White, are the songs that bad to be kept under wraps for over twenty years? If Bacharach won't touch them with a barge pole, why hasn't BA Robertson, once a successful recording artist in his own right, cut them or is their association with a failed project and the resulting falling out with Bacharach too great to overcome?
Martin, that's a good question ......the same could be said about many other Bacharach gems now gathering dust in the vaults ?

'blue'