I Still Have That Other Girl

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

jdh3334

I Still Have That Other Girl

Post by jdh3334 »

I only recently heard Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello's collaboration of the song "I Still Have That Other Girl" ... I love this song! I'd like to know the story behind it.... Who wrote the lyrics? Was this a remake of an earlier version? Was it written for a specific person?

Thanks..

Re: I Still Have That Other Girl

Post by Guest »

jdh3334 wrote:I only recently heard Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello's collaboration of the song "I Still Have That Other Girl" ... I love this song! I'd like to know the story behind it.... Who wrote the lyrics? Was this a remake of an earlier version? Was it written for a specific person?

Thanks..
It's one of my favorites as well. The lyric was written exclusively by Elvis Costello.

A story about the intro to that song which is so haunting. Burt was at the piano one day playing that intro (which at that time wasn't the intro). Elvis hear it and said "what's that?" and Burt said that it was just something he came up with. Elvis then said that that would be a great opening to I Still Have That Other Girl.

Elvis sang that song at the Grammy awards a few years back when, indeed, that song was up for a Grammy. And Burt, of course, was at the piano. Burt and Elvis were on with Regis and Kathie Lee at that time also, and Elvis sang that song with just Burt at the piano. It was fantastic.

I wish they would do another CD together. But I don't think that's gonna happen.