Rare Dionne 1964 Concert Video! Don't Miss It!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

face

Rare Dionne 1964 Concert Video! Don't Miss It!

Post by face »

Don't miss this footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YKT9Sz3NGI. It's amazing how confident and flawless she was at such a young age. Wow.
vincent.cole

Re: Rare Dionne 1964 Concert Video! Don't Miss It!

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Face.

Thank you very much for sharing this viedo of Dionne back in 1964!!!

Burt and Hal knew what they had in Dionne as the the years went by!!!

Take care;

Vincent
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

.... face! ...Thanks for posting this very significant link documenting the early stages of Dionne's career. ... Much of the audience appeared indifferent and distracted; however, they slowly came around. .... I assume many in the audience looked back on this evening with fondness as Dionne's star continued to shine brighter and brighter through subsequent years ... Reminded me of the first time I saw her perform at a very popular yet intimate nightclub in Chicago - Mr Kelly's on Rush Street. ....... I assume the 27 Club was in Knokke, Belgium!

ron
Hank

Post by Hank »

The performance of Walk On By is especially magical.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

No one sings Bacharach and David better than Dionne......no one.

'blue'
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

A lovely short set.
But I still wonder why there hasn't been any discussion of the Po soundtrack. Are people just having difficulty accessing it? It`s on Spotify, boys and girls and it`s a hell of a lot better then At This Time.
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

Wasn't her voice just so effortless and flexible back in the 60s! it's the first time I've heard This Empty Place performed live and it's as excellent as the rest of this set.
face

Post by face »

Not to mention "Any Old Time of the Day." What a treat! While watching this, I was struck by how many of BB/HD's best and most enduring songs were written during those early years, as opposed to the late 60s and 70s. They were really on a creative role between 1962 and 1966 or so. Great stuff!
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

What a gem! She was so assured and relaxed. I loved hearing Any Old Time of the Day. Priceless!
face

Post by face »

Funny story: my wife likes to say that Dionne's voice has always had an "old" (mature) quality to it, even when she was very young. I agree, to an extent. However, I rushed to show her this concert because I felt that Dionne has a decidedly "young" tone here, and she concurred. But you know what? After a couple of viewings, I felt that something was a little off with Dionne's tone and vibrato, so I walked over to the piano and did a little test. All of the songs that I tested are a half step higher and a little faster than the recorded versions -- which makes me think that the tape is fast! That would also explain Dionne's unusually "girlish" tone and fast vibrato. I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I think this recording is a little distorted after all these years. Very enjoyable moment anyway. :oops:
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

face wrote:Funny story: my wife likes to say that Dionne's voice has always had an "old" (mature) quality to it, even when she was very young. I agree, to an extent. However, I rushed to show her this concert because I felt that Dionne has a decidedly "young" tone here, and she concurred. But you know what? After a couple of viewings, I felt that something was a little off with Dionne's tone and vibrato, so I walked over to the piano and did a little test. All of the songs that I tested are a half step higher and a little faster than the recorded versions -- which makes me think that the tape is fast! That would also explain Dionne's unusually "girlish" tone and fast vibrato. I don't mean to be a party pooper, but I think this recording is a little distorted after all these years. Very enjoyable moment anyway. :oops:
I did wonder the same - I don't think it's even a half step but the video does seem to be playing at normal speed. I will see if I can adjust it to the right pitch and reupload it - if so I will share here :)
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

Sorry for the double post, but here is a corrected version of the performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc78ar5d7xY

I reduced the speed of the playback by around 2% and that seems to have brought the pitch back to the original, or at least very very close to. It sounds the same as the original recordings when I play them together.

Enjoy!
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Face;

My 2 other favorite Dionne Songs from this period (1965) are;
“How Many Days of Sadness” & “If I should Ever Make You Cry”.

My all-time favorite of Dionne song is (1968), “Who Is Going Love Me”!!! I wish Burt would include this song in his concerts! I don’t know if Donna Taylor or Josie James can get close to Dionne version though! Burt’s musical arrangement in this chestnut of a song is just heavenly!

Take care;

Vincent
face

Post by face »

turnupthemusic wrote:Sorry for the double post, but here is a corrected version of the performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc78ar5d7xY

I reduced the speed of the playback by around 2% and that seems to have brought the pitch back to the original, or at least very very close to. It sounds the same as the original recordings when I play them together.

Enjoy!
Ahhhhh ... much better! That's the Dionne I know! Thanks so much for this.