Who were The Five Blobs?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

chilehed

Who were The Five Blobs?

Post by chilehed »

The title score of "The Blob" caught the attention of some of my fellow sax players, and so we're wondering who the horn player was. Does anyone know the names of The Five Blobs?
pljms

Re: Who were The Five Blobs?

Post by pljms »

According to Serene Dominic's book on Bacharach 'Song By Song', the Five Blobs were a phantom group and the record featured Bacharach himself, vocalist Bernie Nee and a bunch of session musicians for hire whose names remain a mystery. My guess is the saxophonist wouldn't have been well known because if it had been a 'name' player then surely his identity would have been revealed long ago.
Paul
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Thanks for the information on the "Five BLobs"...I have read elsewhere that it was Bernie Nee overdubbing his voice several times....I'm sure the sax player on the record was a famous
session musician...Anyway, cool record!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Welcome back Steve ! :D

'blue'
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ty Blue! : )
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

The B-side of The Blob was Saturday Night in Tia Juana and it wouldn't have sounded out of place on the What's New Pussycat score six years later. Hal David added lyrics to this in due course and it was recorded by a duo called Cindy and Lindy. Here's the instrumental:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2wozTUgCm4