Tribute to Hal David

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

Tribute to Hal David

Post by grooverider »

I picked up a vinyl (!!) tribute to Hal David recently, titled simply, "BMG Proudly Presents Hal David"
It's a used copy, it's on the BMG label, here's the track listing:
Side 1:
"The Story Of My Life" Marty Robbins, "I Say A Little Prayer" Aretha Franklin, Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Head" Barry Manilow, "Do You Know the Way to
Say Jose" Dionne Warwick, "What The World Needs Now Is Love" Jackie De Shannon, "Sea of Heartbreak" Don Gibson

Side 2:
"(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" Naked Eyes, "Magic Moments" Perry Como, "Trains & Boats & Planes" Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas,
"(They Long to Be) Close to You" The Carpenters, "Wishin' and Hopin" Dusty Springfield, "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" The White Stripes

From Barry Manilow to the White Stripes! Only one song, "Sea Of Heartbreak" with a different musical partner, Paul Hampton, it was a joy to see the focus on Mr. David. BTW, just a hand, holding a great black & white snapshot of the smiling Hal David, with a color background, adorns the cover.
Martin Johnson

Re: Tribute to Hal David

Post by Martin Johnson »

I saw this LP a few years ago and while I'm all in favour with Hal David receiving more of the spotlight I thought it a poorly conceived and more than slightly bizarre album. Surely in putting together a tribute to Hal David alone the prerogative was to concentrate just as much if not more on the several hits he wrote with other composers and not compile what is, with the exception of one track, just another Bacharach and David collection.