Amy Winehouse

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Spiritinthesky

Amy Winehouse

Post by Spiritinthesky »

23rd July 2011, Amy Winehouse was found dead at her north London home, she was 27. The troubled singer had a long battle with drink and drugs which overshadowed her recent musical career. Listen to Amy Winehouse talking about Back To Black and her love of 60's music here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/amy_winehouse
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Amy Winehouse

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I had no idea who Amy was until she appeared on David Letterman's show and sang "Rehab." I was bowled over by her singing, her voice and her style -- and I knew right then and there that she would be a major star. A terrible loss indeed!
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I remember being on a train in central London and overhearing the just announced news of Amy Winehouse’s death being discussed in an all too gleeful manner by two young male fellow passengers, the general gist of which was that it was hardly a news story because of its utter inevitability and anyway it was her own fault, “the stupid cow”. Poor darlings, they were so stunned to be verbally attacked by an angry middle-aged woman (me) for their gross insensitivity that they spent the next five minutes spluttering apologies.

Yes, she was a unique and major talent and seeing her very public physical deterioration as her drink and drug dependency deepened was truly painful to behold.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Sara, I personally would have paid good money to have witnessed that scene on the train.
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Isn't it odd how Bacharachians like us also tend to agree on the merits of other artists - some for obvious reasons (eg. The Carpenters), some less so (Swing Out Sister, Amy Winehouse).

Talking of the Carpenters, did anyone else see the really destructive docu-drama on Channel 5 recently, alleging all kinds of stuff about, in particular, their mother and Karen's husband? The numerous legal notices posted at the end weren't unexpected....