Royal Festival Hall

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Gary Edward

Royal Festival Hall

Post by Gary Edward »

I have been going to see Burt every time he has visited the UK since 1996 when Noel Gallagher sang with him, I have waited at the stage door several times and got some great pictures, I waited at the Liverpool show last week but it was difficult to get a good picture but there did seem to be fan's going back stage. I always wonder how they get the vip passes?
someonenameddavid

Re: Royal Festival Hall

Post by someonenameddavid »

It's just who you know
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
pljms

Post by pljms »

At 2 hours and 10 minutes this was by some distance the longest Bacharach concert I've attended and with many more stand alone songs than is usually the case, no less than nine of which were sung by Joss Stone. Roughly in order they were;
Walk On By
The Look of Love (acc by John Pagano, guitar)
I'll Never Fall in Love Again
Close to You
Wishin' and Hopin'
One Less Bell to Answer
In Between the Heartaches
I Say a Little Prayer
I Just Don't Know What to do With Myself (accompanied solely by BB at the piano)

While she more than did justice to all the songs I think that The Look of Love, Close to You and the last four interpretations were exceptional and Burt gave every impression that he thought so too. The only blemish was that she messed up the beginning of In Between the Heartaches whereby they had to restart the song. However, because she eventually sang it so beautifully I don't think it mattered that much although a dent to her professional pride. Admirable that she was virtually word perfect in all the songs without the aid of a lyric sheet, unlike the otherwise impressive Rick Astley at the London Palladium 9 days ago.

Here's an excellent review garnered from the net the morning after the night before:

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/bu ... tival-hall
Paul
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

It was good to hear a fresh concert format, too, in pleasant contrast to the usual medley system, and that's the first BB concert I've been too where the first song ISN'T What the World Needs Now

Stand out moments -
One Less Bell to Answer - full length version, reminiscent of Sheryl Crow singing live in New York
I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself - just Burt (piano) and Joss (voice), brave and fabulous

Other points -
1 was his son's keyboard actually connected to the mains? I have my doubts
2 David - why on earth was Eliza in the back row???
3 thank heavens, NO MICHAEL GRADE
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`m delighted although unsurprised that Joss Stone was as great as she was at RFH. I`ve been saying for years that she is one of the better - if not the - best pop singers alive.
The crime is that here in the US I could mention her name to a random twenty-five people on the street and receive not a single glimmer of recognition.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:I`m delighted although unsurprised that Joss Stone was as great as she was at RFH. I`ve been saying for years that she is one of the better - if not the - best pop singers alive.
The crime is that here in the US I could mention her name to a random twenty-five people on the street and receive not a single glimmer of recognition.
Blair, even in the UK her career has been somewhat on the wane for a few years.

In many ways this was the most satisfying and enjoyable Bacharach concert I've attended. I'll discuss it more soon but in the meantime here's another tremendous review from today's London Evening Standard:

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/musi ... 88446.html
Last edited by Martin Johnson on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Let's hope there are some 'youtube' video's of this wonderful Concert !
Or better still a full DVD / blu-ray release ?
We can but dream.....

'blue'
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

According to the side-bar story with the Standard review, Joss is still intent on playing every country in the world. Does she seriously think she would be welcome (or safe) in Yemen? Saudi Arabia? Central African Republic? Afghanistan? The list is long. I understand the impulse and wish her success but....
pljms

Post by pljms »

Here's the set-list for the marathon concert as best as I remember it:

Promises, Promises (same version as on BB's Make it Easy on Yourself album)
What the World Needs Now (one chorus only)
(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me
Anyone Who Had a Heart
This Guy's in Love With You
Baby it's You
Message to Michael
Make it Easy on Yourself
On My Own
Mexican Divorce
Something Big
Do You Know the Way to San Jose

Joss Stone segment featuring 
Walk On By
The Look of Love
I'll Never Fall in Love Again
Close to You
Wishin' and Hopin'
One Less Bell to Answer
In Between the Heartaches
I Say a Little Prayer
I Just Don't Know What to do With Myself

Magic Moments (one chorus just BB vocal and piano)
Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa

The Movie Medley featuring The Look of Love, Arthur's Theme, What's New Pussycat, The World is a Circle, April Fools, Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Making Love, Wives and Lovers, Alfie and a House is Not a Home

Any Day Now
That's What Friends Are For
Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head (reprise)
Paul
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Well done, I think that's exactly right.

By the way, worth noting that he played two songs twice.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Speaking as someone who's seen Bacharach in concert dozens of times this was as good as it gets and reading the article I've posted below I don't think Burt has any plans to stop touring any time soon.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filt ... t-to-stop/
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

As to Eliza being in the orchestra: she is normally in the "self contained" shows, not the ones that have an orchestra, but she is a musician and a team player so whatever Burt wants...
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

With only one medley and with well over twenty songs performed complete, is it any wonder that this concert was so rewarding? Then take into account the undoubted star quality of Joss Stone and all the main singers including Bill Cantos at the top of their game and it made for a very memorable show. Assuming Bacharach does return to the UK for more dates in the future, he'll be hard-pressed to top this. 
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I was thrilled to be able to see this show whilst visiting friends in he UK. Previously I'd seen him perform last year in Melbourne and Sydney.

The departure from the usual medley format was a refreshing change and hearing the instrumental version of Promises Promises as the opening number was a real treat. Last time I saw this piece performed live was on Burt's 1998 Australian tour. It's a pity there isn't a recent recording of this live piece.

I thought Joss Stone's rendition of In Between the Heartaches was brilliant. And the acoustics of the RFH are astonishingly good!

Martyn