Bacharach at Bristol Colston Hall June 28

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Bacharach at Bristol Colston Hall June 28

Post by nowmedical »

After you lot all seemed to have fun at the Palladium, as a die-hard I ventured down the M4 to see Burt in Bristol.

POSITIVES
Burt very relaxed - chatting about the Grand National at Aintree, Marlene Dietrich falling off stage
Change in running order - the Magic Moments medley is binned to make way for more full song versions
Burt also very emotional - said he didn't think he'd be back, and as good as cried singing Alfie
People dancing in the balcony as early as I Say A Little Prayer

NEGATIVES
None, this was a fine relaxed concert in a small friendly venue, and the support act would win X-Factor for his voice
OK one bad bit, I shouted "let's modulate" just before he did (always does) during the encore of Raindrops - he gave me a really funny look for that

PS I am going to the Vienna concert on friday - beat that?
Sara D

Re: Bacharach at Bristol Colston Hall June 28

Post by Sara D »

Bacharach has said more than once that he'd never do a 'farewell tour', so for him to say in Bristol that he doesn't think he'll be back is a surprise. It will be interesting to see how he is for the last date of the UK tour at the Festival Hall in London next Monday. He might not be the only one to get emotional!
ThisGuy'sInLove

Post by ThisGuy'sInLove »

I was at the gig and didn't sense the same emotion from Burt. I also didn't hear him say he didn't think he'd be back. But I recorded it on my phone and will check back.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Burt never mentioned it at his Liverpool concert ?

'blue'
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Ah, but I had the benefit of being front row central, you see and hear more there...

During Alfie, at one point his eyes shut and his head dipped so low his forehead rested on the microphone. When he was thanking the orchestra he said something along the lines of ... they've been great, I've worked with them this week in London and now in Bristol (applause++) shame we won't work again, I don't think I'll be back ...
ThisGuy'sInLove

I was third row central so I don't think I would have missed it, like I say, I'll check.
ThisGuy'sInLove

From what I can hear, he says: "I can't say enough about this orchestra. This is the second time that we have worked together, we worked in London two nights ago and I shall miss all of you, all of you. They're really good."

To my mind he was in great spirits in Bristol, laughing and enjoying his time on stage, his chats with the audience. There was nothing to suggest he'd changed his mind since the interview he gave to the Telegraph last month, entitled Why Would I Ever Want To Stop?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filt ... t-to-stop/
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Phew that's a relief, thanks for checking.

PS based on your username, I hope you were at the Festival Hall last night - John sang a full length version of "This Guy's In Love With You", rather than the usual medley version which always feels far too short.