Dionne links (no url)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Hank

Dionne links (no url)

Post by Hank »

Did anyone see Dionne’s recent performance of Make It Easy On Yourself on Later with Jools Holland (at least I think it was recent...). My expectations were quite low but I was quite blown away. Much of her vocal power may be gone but she is some talent. What a voice. What a performance. Sorry I don’t have a youtube link to share.
I’ve been listening to the My Favorite Album podcast. Last weeks episode had Natalie Prass extolling the virtues of Presenting Dionne Warwick. I particularly appreciated her mention of Dee Dee Warwick’s Foolish Fool which I’d never heard but sounds fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSRT913jMY0
turnupthemusic

Re: Dionne links (no url)

Post by turnupthemusic »

That performance was actually from October 2012 but I've not seen an online copy for a long time... if I remember rightly she sounded a little rough, she did a few UK TV show appearances to promote Now around that time and sounded pretty bad on all of them. Still, I think Now shows Dionne's older voice in it's best light - it's a great album and very well produced. A world away from My Friends and Me and Feels So Good...

Fortunately Dionne performs live infrequently these days though and sounds a lot better for it - she's on a small Brazilian tour at the moment, see a couple of clips here - she can still hold that final note on I'll Never Love This Way again at 75 years old, something she certainly wasn't able to do two/three years ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BExQjRJjwyl/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BExSAKChpa8/
face

Post by face »

Thanks for those links. As Dionne told Dan Rather a couple of years ago, filing for bankruptcy was really the best thing that she could have done. I'm happy that she is obviously getting more rest and spending her time doing what she wants to do, instead of bouncing around the world on an endless string of one-nighters like she did for so long. She sounds, looks, and just "seems" better. Long live Dionne!
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

You're welcome. There's more clips to see if you click on "Citibank Hall" on either of those videos.
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

Hello - sorry for those bored of discussing Dionne, but I just wanted to share a video I've created with some of Dionne's best vocals (in my opinion of course!) from 1967 right through to 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyVNIGXsqr4
face

Post by face »

Rest assured, none of us around here will ever tire of discussing Dionne! She and Burt are forever intertwined in our hearts and minds.

Thank you so much for the video! Wow! You have given us fans something to show people who erroneously claim that Dionne can't belt or doesn't have range, and for that I am grateful. These are some real show stoppers! It's funny how you have captured many of my favorite performances, too. I bet it was REALLY hard to choose from among the many, many great performances she has given us. The only personal favorites that you didn't include are her 1980 "After You" performance from the "One Voice" Barry Manilow special (so elegant and beautiful), "With One More Look At You" from Park West, the 1982 "I'll Never Love This Way Again" performance at Pebble Mill (so effortless, powerful, and controlled), the 1985 "Finder of Lost Loves" performance from London (80s Bacharach, baby!), and the 1986 "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (triumphant). But really, there are just so many ...

Once you catch your breath, maybe you can give us a compilation of the "smooth and sophisticated" side of Dionne, since that's what she's best known for anyway. I imagine this would pull in more Bacharach/David and more of the 1960s performances as well ("Alfie," anyone?). Her trademark tender ache is just as moving as her biggest belts. I'd be happy to make some suggestions if you ever get around to it!

Thanks again, friend!
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

face wrote:Rest assured, none of us around here will ever tire of discussing Dionne! She and Burt are forever intertwined in our hearts and minds.

Thank you so much for the video! Wow! You have given us fans something to show people who erroneously claim that Dionne can't belt or doesn't have range, and for that I am grateful. These are some real show stoppers! It's funny how you have captured many of my favorite performances, too. I bet it was REALLY hard to choose from among the many, many great performances she has given us. The only personal favorites that you didn't include are her 1980 "After You" performance from the "One Voice" Barry Manilow special (so elegant and beautiful), "With One More Look At You" from Park West, the 1982 "I'll Never Love This Way Again" performance at Pebble Mill (so effortless, powerful, and controlled), the 1985 "Finder of Lost Loves" performance from London (80s Bacharach, baby!), and the 1986 "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (triumphant). But really, there are just so many ...

Once you catch your breath, maybe you can give us a compilation of the "smooth and sophisticated" side of Dionne, since that's what she's best known for anyway. I imagine this would pull in more Bacharach/David and more of the 1960s performances as well ("Alfie," anyone?). Her trademark tender ache is just as moving as her biggest belts. I'd be happy to make some suggestions if you ever get around to it!

Thanks again, friend!
Thanks, you're quite welcome. You know, I'd completely forgotten about the Finders of Lost Loves and the Battle Hymn of the Republic performances while putting this together, if only I had included them! Oh well.

And yes, I'll certainly think about putting another set of clips together!