"Lisa"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

"Lisa"

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Did anyone other than Burt ever record this song? I`ve never heard or heard of a cover.
Tony Bennett could still knock this out of the park! Is anyone connected with Tony reading this?
Martin Johnson

Re: "Lisa"

Post by Martin Johnson »

According to Serene Dominic's Song by Song book the only recorded version other than Bacharach's is by Jorgen Ingmann. No, I'd not heard of him either but apparently he was a Danish jazz guitarist who died last year a month shy of his 90th birthday. To quote Serene Dominic, Bacharach's version is "sung by a chorus so Mancini-esque that Moon River probably sent a search party out for them".
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Oh, sure! The Bacharach version was schlocky. My only point was that it`s interesting that a song on such a prominent album by such a prominent composer was never touched by anyone (like "Lisa"). It`s far from being one of my favorites but, jeez...Tony, you can resolve this!
Last edited by Blair N. Cummings on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I'll never forget getting Burt's album "Reach Out" and hearing "Lisa" for the first time. I remember thinking, "Did Burt write this?" Because it did not have that unique Bacharach sound. It's a song that, perhaps, even Gershwin could have written. Even though I liked the song, it just felt so out of place on that album. Anyhow, over the years, I, too, have often wondered why I never heard that song sung by anyone -- even to this day. I'll bet that Burt is disappointed by this because he must have loved the song a lot -- enough, that is, to have included it in that fantastic album. It wasn't like he didn't have many other songs that could have gone in its place. I do think that an astute interviewer would have asked him about it, too, because I know that I would have. Anyhow, I have that song on my ipod and whenever it comes up I do love hearing it.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Who is this 'Lisa' that Burt and Hal wrote the song about....an actress perhaps ?
I've often wondered ?

"Everyone envies you...they say you have wealth and fame"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l3msBQ0C3M

'blue'