Jimmy Webb visits the Sun Inn Hammersmith

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nowmedical

Jimmy Webb visits the Sun Inn Hammersmith

Post by nowmedical »

Amazed as I was last year that others on this blog know the Lord Nelson Hotel in Liverpool - so here I am reading J Webb's book and he claims to be something of a local at the Sun Inn pub in Hammersmith (see chapter 2). This is about a mile from my house. He calls it on "the outskirts" of London - obviously he got ripped off by a cabbie, it's about 100 years since Hammersmith was a suburb.

Anyway, does anyone else know the Sun Inn? Top Fullers beer. I've never seen JW there but if I do I will buy him a bourbon or whatever he drinks.
pljms

Re: Jimmy Webb visits the Sun Inn Hammersmith

Post by pljms »

I believe he's referring to the Sun Inn in Barnes, SW London. I remember that he mentioned the pub and Barnes in an interview with John Dunn on BBC Radio 2 back in the 90s. I know the pub well as it's just down the road from the Bull's Head where I've been a frequent visitor over the years for the live jazz. The Sun Inn's proximity to Olympic, the famous recording studio in Barnes is the reason why so many famous rock stars have been seen in there over the years. However, the several times I've drank in there I didn't spot anyone of note or someone who I'd recognise. I recall from Webb's radio interview him saying that he often used to visit the pub with Harry Nilsson. Now that is something I would have loved to have witnessed!
Paul
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I remember hearing the interview with John Dunn and being impressed that he was prepared to broach the subject which all other interviewers seem overly careful to avoid, the fact that Webb had long since lost the knack of writing hit songs. 
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`d be interested to know JW`s reply.
It seems - based on recent history - that he has simply stopped writing altogether, his last several albums consisting of nothing but remakes of old stuff. As for hits, there really isn`t a market any more for the pop song he was so proficient at turning out. It`s hard to imagine a contemporary producer or singer who would brave an entire album of Webb songs.
Bacharach can still come up with good material, but none of that is chart-bound, either and for the same reason. Unfortunately, their hour has passed.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

pljms wrote:I believe he's referring to the Sun Inn in Barnes, SW London. I remember that he mentioned the pub and Barnes in an interview with John Dunn on BBC Radio 2 back in the 90s. I know the pub well as it's just down the road from the Bull's Head where I've been a frequent visitor over the years for the live jazz. The Sun Inn's proximity to Olympic, the famous recording studio in Barnes is the reason why so many famous rock stars have been seen in there over the years. However, the several times I've drank in there I didn't spot anyone of note or someone who I'd recognise. I recall from Webb's radio interview him saying that he often used to visit the pub with Harry Nilsson. Now that is something I would have loved to have witnessed!

I drove past the Sun Inn last Saturday afternoon and its situation opposite a duck pond makes it about as 'Chocolate Box England' as it's possible to get. I can see why visiting Americans would love this pub:

https://www.thesuninnbarnes.co.uk/
pljms

Post by pljms »

It's extraordinary to think that less than 100 metres from that very English pub and the duck pond the Eagles recorded their first album and the archetypal Californian sounds of 'Take it Easy' and 'Peaceful Easy Feeling'.
Paul