geos85 song list( because my taste is just awesome)

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

geos85 song list( because my taste is just awesome)

Post by geoff85 »

So today i felt like listenin to some early 60's songs. Some of these are pretty obscure so comment if you know them or like them.

steve lawrence portrait of my love...just a simple beautiful song.

ginny arnell i crying too

steve lawrence the weekend.... very similar to wives and lovers

the vogues special angel... one of the most beautiul songs ever written

the vogues magic town..... as a young new yorker who can barely afford to pay the rent i can identify with this... probably my fave barry mann cynthia wiel
Blair N. Cummings

Re: geos85 song list( because my taste is just awesome)

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

You can still afford to live in the city? I was driven out before you were born.
Before then, it really was a "magic town" when Dizzy and Ra still walked the earth and you could see them and their bands in clubs for less than a month`s rent.
There was Coliseum Books in its original locale at Columbus Circle where every Penguin paperback was available and all manner of lefty publications were there for the grabbing by the front window.
You could have breakfast for pocket change all over town...and lunch and dinner for not much more.
As Joni Mitchell once wrote about something else entirely, "I well up with affection thinking back down the roads to then."
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

[quote="Blair N. Cummings"]You can still afford to live in the city? I was driven out before you were born.
Before then, it really was a "magic town" when Dizzy and Ra still walked the earth and you could see them and their bands in clubs for less than a month`s rent.
Th@ere was Coliseum Books in its original locale at Columbus Circle where every Penguin paperback was available and all manner of lefty publications were there for the grabbing by the front window.
You could have breakfast for pocket change all over town...and lunch and dinner for not much more.
As Joni Mitchell once wrote about something else entirely, "I well up with affection thinking back down the roads to then."[/quo

so u were once a big appler? man must have been great back then in the center of the universe. do u kno any of he songs??
Blair N. Cummings

I remember the last three.
It wasn`t a great era for the American pop song. The old masters were gone, Bacharach and Webb hadn`t made their impact yet, and in not much more than a decade the concept was just passe. By the mid-seventies, rock had been reduced to metal, soul had been replaced by rap, and disco was...well, disco. Not much has changed except for the digital production and accompanying sound effects. But then, I don`t pay any attention any more.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Taki 183.

Anyone [NYers] remember that?

And, of course, Blair: The Coliseum Book Store (NW corner of 57th and B'wy). Walk by there almost every day, today included. Spent hours in there. Maybe even days if you add up all the hours. Then Rizzoli's -- another defunct bookstore. Did I say "bookstore?" So many had to close. And, worst of all for me was the closing of The Colony. All that wonderful sheet music to peruse.

But I digress!
Blair N. Cummings

And, of course, Brentano`s and a place called Classic Books on 6th not far from Radio City and the really classic Gotham Book Mart not far from there. God, I`m old.