The Best of Sweet Soul

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

The Best of Sweet Soul

Post by geoff85 »

As a spinoff from my blue magic post I thought i should tribute the genre of sweet soul. This is one genre where there are many songs on par with Bacharach/ Webb/ and the likes. Even though music is color blind it has always seemed black musicians of the past found a way to tap into every ounce of emotion they felt and left nothing on the table that was not expressed.

Of course the most important city in this genre has to be philly with Thom Bell and Kenny Gamble/ Leon Huff spearheading the movement with significant input from other talented producers.

However one of my favorite contributors to this genre came from Chicago a man by the name of Charles Stepney most significant for his work with Minnie Ripperton( Rotary Connection) and the Dells. His music really has a Bacharach quality to it in both quality and arrangement aesthetic.

Please humble accept and enjoy my offering and add your own.

The Dells the love we had ( Charles Stepney)

Minnie Ripperton Rainy Day in Centerville ( Charles Stepney).....for those who subscribe to the notion that Jimmy Webb's tailor made coda for Thelma Houstons didnt we is the most beautiful moment in music may want to listen to the extended bridge in this song that starts at 310 and builds slowly for almost a minute and then reassess.

The Rotary Connection Love is ( I died and went to heaven)

The Dells just as long as were in love ( I was resurrected only to die and go to heaven again)

critiques and comments are always welcome.
Blair N. Cummings

Re: The Best of Sweet Soul

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

An enjoyable cover medley:
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:An enjoyable cover medley:

Todd Rundgren is one of my fave singers in life but its called soul music for a reason. His heart was in the right place though.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

GradJohn wrote:Aus allen 6 Produktionen Sweet Soul Music Revue, Motown, Sweet Soul Gospel Revue, The Queens of Soul, The Soul of Tina und Soulfinger werden am 22. Januar in einer eigens hierfür gestalteten Show kick the bucket Highlights aller „Gassmann Produktionen" vereint.Mit der SWEET SOUL MUSIC REVUE entführen wir Sie auf eine musikalische Reise "Down Funky Street" der 50er bis 70er Jahre in Amerika. Kick the bucket Revue ist eine tiefe Verneigung vor nook großen Künstlern dieser Zeit und eine Hommage a bite the dust nicht minder bekannten Platten-L.For a good review about the latest work choose the expert from top essay writing services provider.

Girl bye! This blog is based in America.