Burt`s concert in Auckland

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

David Young

Burt`s concert in Auckland

Post by David Young »

On Saturday November 7 , Burt performed in the Vector Arena in downtown Auckland with his core band members , accompanied by the orchestral players of the Auckland Philharmonia. A near capacity crowd of 4,000 were in attendance.
Burt appeared on stage to great applause and commenced in usual style with ``What the World Needs now is Love``.Thereafter , the first medley of hits followed concluding with `There`s Always Something There to remind Me` . In place of the second medley, `Do You Know the Way to San Jose` was performed and was followed by Josie James marvellous renditions of `Are You There` (with another Girl) and `Anyone Who Had a Heart`. John Pagano performed `I Just Don`t Know What to Do With Myself` followed by `Any Day Now` -the latter just as robustly as he had at Burt`s first concert in New Zealand in July, 2007.

Burt then informed the audience about the Drifters recording session in which he heard Dionne Warwick ,her sister Dee Dee, Myrna Smith and Cissy Houston (`Whitney`s mother` - applause) and then John Pagano playing guitar and Donna Taylor sang `Mexican Divorce` with the orchestra playing the chorus. Donna Taylor then proceeded to sing `Waiting for Charlie to Come Home` .
Burt then announced that a bracket of songs would follow and after acknowledging Gene Pitney , `Twenty Four Hours from Tulsa was performed, followed by `Baby Its You` and ` Message to Michael`. For the following songs `Make it Easy on Yourself/ On My Own`, Burt was joined on stage by his son Oliver who played keyboards.
Then Burt announced a song that he hadn`t performed before , one of his favourites, and Josie James sang `In Between the Heartaches`.
Bill Cantos, Burt`s keyboardist was introduced and sang ( from his keyboard) `Something Big`. This was followed by Donna Taylor with `Close to You`.

Burt played the chorus of `Magic Moments` and the Movie Medley followed. Burt sang the vocals in a number of these songs. Bill Cantos then sang `Hush` from the show
`SOME LOVERS`and then Burt announced a new song with lyrics by Tim Nichol . The title was not given but a recurring `Carry on` in the refrain suggests a possible title.

Burt played the piano and sang unaccompanied. The song is very affecting. After `That's What Friends are For` Burt left the stage to a standing ovation and returned for the finale of `Raindrops Keep Fallin` on My Head` and departed the stage .

It was a marvellous event .

PS
I hope that someone either in Auckland or Australia has captured the concert on their phones and will post footage on the website, especially of the Tim Nichol collaboration. It was VERY special. Tim Nichol is a Nashville based songwriter and concertgoers to Burt`s Nashville concert in March 2016 will probably hear this song.
I hope so.

David Young
vincent.cole

Re: Burt`s concert in Auckland

Post by vincent.cole »

David;

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Burt Concert in Auckland!

When I was in San Diego in 2012, Josie James sang that Dionne classcic "Are You There With Another Girl". Great song. Looking to hear how Josie does, "In Between The Heartaches". Another Dionne chestnut!

David, I have some new things to hear in Nashville TN.

Thanks again!
Take care;

Vincent