Burt's Melbourne and Sydney Concerts Oct/Nov 2015

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Martyn

Burt's Melbourne and Sydney Concerts Oct/Nov 2015

Post by Martyn »

Burt has just finished touring Australia and New Zealand with his band - his final show was in Auckland last night.

By all accounts the tour was a huge success.

I managed to see his Melbourne and Sydney shows and they were just great. It helped that I had very good seats at both.

The set list was pretty much the same as it has been in recent times but he added a few gems. One was ‘Are You There with Another Girl’ sung by Josie James. Another was ‘Something Big’ sung by Bill Cantos. They had decided out of the blue, at the Melbourne rehearsal, to play ‘Something Big’ that night, and they subsequently played it in Sydney as well. The third gem was ‘Mexican Divorce’ sung by Donna Taylor, with John Pagano on guitar. I hadn’t heard these performed live before so it was a real treat to hear them.

Bill Cantos performed ‘Hush’ from ‘Some Lovers’ (wish I could have seen that production), and then later on, Burt performed a brand new song. It was so new it didn’t get played in Adelaide – his first date on this tour. Only when he performed in Perth did it get its first airing.

The song is called ‘Carry On’ with lyrics by Tim Nichols. They include the following line: ‘The day will come when I will have to leave you, but I will leave the best of me with you.’ It was just Burt on the piano. It’s a very touching piece.

At the Melbourne gig Burt had to stop half way through the chorus of that song because a truck on the street outside had just roared past. “They must have known I was about to sing the chorus” he said. “Okay Burt’s about to sing the chorus – pedal to the floor!” That got a good laugh, and then he sang the chorus again. No such interruptions in Sydney.

At the Sydney show Burt added another gem. He said “I was watching CNN last night and got to thinking what a troubled world we live in. So I thought I’d add this song tonight”. John Pagano played guitar and sang ‘Windows of the World’. Just fantastic – John should record that song.

I don’t know how Burt does it. He’s 87 and yet he was on stage for a solid two hours, with no break, conducting, playing the piano and singing. And then, after the show (for us diehards who were willing to wait), he came out of the stage door, signed autographs and had his photo taken. And we were very grateful.

Martyn
Last edited by Martyn on Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pljms

Re: Burt's Sydney and Melbourne Concerts Oct/Nov 2015

Post by pljms »

Thanks Martyn. All those songs added to the set-list are favourites of mine and I hope he still includes them by the time he returns to Blighty.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Does anyone know if Burt will be touring the UK again next year ?
pljms

Post by pljms »

Blue, my "by the time he returns to Blighty" was written in hope and expectation. It's obvious BB loves the connection with audiences that concerts give him and he knows he will always play to packed houses in the UK.
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

pljms wrote:Blue, my "by the time he returns to Blighty" was written in hope and expectation. It's obvious BB loves the connection with audiences that concerts give him and he knows he will always play to packed houses in the UK.
True, very true.

"blue"
vincent.cole

Re: Burt's Melbourne and Sydney Concerts Oct/Nov 2015

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Martyn

So happy you enjoyed both shows!

I know it's been a few years since you last saw Burt in Concert. But you made up for it.

John Pagano played guitar and sang ‘Windows of the World’. I heard John play the song, but this is a 1st for me that he also sang!
Hope John plays and sings this song in Nashville!

Martyn, thanks for the photo of you and Burt as well as Donna, John and Josie!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent